Replacing shower in master bath

shiltsyMay 1, 2013

We are putting our 14 year old home on the market soon. Everything in the home has been updated with the exception of the master shower. It's a fairly cheap builders grade shower and is something that potential buyers will definitely point out.

As you can see in the pictures (link below), it's a semi custom shower stall. Would it be worth trying to replace the glass pane/frame and door or should I consider ripping and replacing the whole unit? Also, does anyone know if it's possible to tile over that white shower board stuff that makes up both walls currently?

Any creative ideas would be appreciated! I don't mind spending some money, keeping in mind that this is purely for resale.

For what it's worth, the bathrooms/kitchen/etc are tile and granite.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower stall pictures

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lillo

In my opinion changing just the glass panels, will show even more what is inside . I just heard that there is a company that tear the walls for you and keep the bottom part of the shower , so you can just tile and change glass. Try googling that, I'll see if I can get you a name . Or maybe somebody on the web knows something about it . Good luck in your resale .

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 7:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raehelen

I wouldn't touch it! Just give it a super good cleaning, and stash the hanging basket when you have showings.

It would cost you thousands to replace, and your new buyer may prefer a solid surface shower instead of whatever tile you put up there.

Put the money into fabulous thick towels and a new (not dark brown) mat. Bonus is those will go with you!

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 7:53PM
More Discussions
Do I really need a steam shower?
We are in the process of finalizing plans for redoing...
attygirl
New Kohler Levity glass shower doors...
Has anyone installed these yet? It's a higher end look...
blondelle
What is the strongest, best bathroom fan on the market?
We've had mildew in our old bathroom, despite having...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
help choosing modern recessed lighting.
Oh my goodness this seems to be the hardest part of...
Edie Nicosia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™