Best cleaner for neglected shower tiles?

worldphotoNovember 26, 2006

I just moved into a house and it looks like the shower tiles haven't been cleaned in years. There is a lot of soap scum that I can't get clean. I have tried everything I can think of to restore the shine including Lime-a-way, Tilex, Comet, Bleach and Lysol as well as some professional tile and grout cleaners. I even tried buffing the stains out with some auto polish but I can't tell I'm making any progress. Does anybody have any experience on what will definitely work?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spiritual_gardner

Try squirting a large bottle of "tough on grease liquid dish soap" on the tile. Spread it around with a cleaning brush and let it sit for 3-4 hours. It will dry a little, but that's O.K.

Then, scrub the tile with a no scratch brush. That should do the trick.

For grouting, warm white vinegar should do the trick.

SG

Bookmark   November 27, 2006 at 10:54AM
gardenergwen

Try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. They *definitely* work although depending on the grime level can be pricey. Check your paper for coupons, warehouse store for bulk packs, or your grocery for store brand varities to save money.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to a picture of Magic Eraser used on Tiles

Bookmark   November 27, 2006 at 8:10PM
sameboat

Ah but you haven't mentioned Barkeepers Helper. This stuff comes in a cardboard can like Ajax and is usually found in the cleaning aisle or with car cleaner at the grocery store. This stuff is the only thing that works for me if I have water stains, iron/rust stains, etc. I had tried everything else (Comet, CLR, Limeaway, etc.) and was afraid to use Barkeepers because I thought it would scratch. I make a paste on a washcloth and gently go round and round. You won't even believe it. Get some now and I'll check this post in a day or so to see your reaction.

I used to live on a lake and our water was gross. Our tub was brown when we moved in and this was the only thing that ever worked (a neighbor brought it to us).

Bookmark   November 30, 2006 at 9:43PM
justjustin

If you have a Sams Club nearby they sell a product in their professional cleaning section made by EcoLab. It's called Power Bath & Bowl Cleaner. It's meant for use by hotels, hospitals, residential cleaning services.

My nephew had been living with us for the past year and none of us were ever brave enough to tackle a teen's bathroom. Needless to say the walls of the shower had "life" of their own growing on them. This stuff cut through it like a hot knife through butter. It's cheap as dirt too, something like less than $5 for a ten bottle refill drum?

Best of luck!
Justin

Bookmark   December 2, 2006 at 3:41AM
piper101

Try ZAP- they have a restorer and maintence formula and it's for porcelain, fiberglass, tile and grout and believe me, it will work...you have to use a mask and gloves and leave the room for a while but it will work. I believe I got it by ordering it but I think it's now available at Costco,,,same makers as Zoom. Anyway,,just use one of those scotch brite green brillo-type thin pads and you should be fine. Please use a mask and gloves..When you're done,,if you can find a clear or white (just make sure it matches your grout) turtle wax type product,,put it on,,let it dry,,then rub it off and you'll be able to see the water and soap just run right off for about 6 months,,depends on your family. It really works great for my glass doors once they are clean, keeps them that way as nothing will stick to it.

Bookmark   December 6, 2006 at 11:35AM
sameboat

Oops - it's "Barkeepers Friend"

Bookmark   December 16, 2006 at 9:21PM
sperez

2nding Barkeepers Friend! Love it!

Bookmark   December 17, 2006 at 6:54PM
keysjoyce

Be very careful when using Barkeepers Friend: I scoured the surface of my bathtub by leaving it on too long. It's important to thoroughly rinse the tile/tub surface within a couple of minutes. Barkeepers Friend is good on rust stains (on almost anything), but again don't leave it on too long.

Bookmark   July 11, 2010 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
hard water marks on glasses
Can anyone tell me how to clean hard water marks from...
MIStepMom
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™