cleaning glass cruet

highknitterNovember 27, 2004

I'm looking for instructions on how to clean oil and vinegar cruets. The necks of these clear glass containers are long and narrow - there's no way to scrub. The one with oil is nasty inside. HELP!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

skinny bottle brushes?

Shake a mix of soapy water, ammonia and acquarium gravel (or BBs, or other small objects) in the bottles to scrub them.

Bookmark   November 27, 2004 at 8:56PM
bodiCA

I soak in hot water and Dawn detergent, rinse and fill with hot water and drop in a denture tab. If that still doesn't work, hot water and dishwashing powder.

Bookmark   November 28, 2004 at 12:32AM
donna_loomis

You can also put a handful of rice or sand along with a bit of dish soap and a little hot water in the cruet, and give it a good shake. Works for me.

Bookmark   November 28, 2004 at 1:27AM
photobob

In a large bowl or saucepan or whatever, mix some dishwasher detergent (like Cascade) with very hot water. Let the cruets soak in this solution for an hour or so, then empty the cruet, refill about halfway with the solution, stop up the opening with a finger and shake vigorously. Repeat the soak/shake cycle if necessary.

Even better is to use a detergent that contains enzymes (like Cascade Complete).

These soaks have worked wonders for me on all sorts of stuck-on, burned-on, and other accumulated crud.

Bookmark   November 28, 2004 at 9:19AM
carolssis

Try using a pipe cleaner, it bends to any shape you need. I use them frequently for cleaning my hummingbird feeders. Dawn dishwashing liquid is great on oil and grease, and hot water is much better for dissolving the oil. Good luck

Bookmark   November 28, 2004 at 12:28PM
lindac

If you have cut glass...and/or lead glass, you will scratch it with gravel or sand or BB's....and may likely crack it with very hot water.....
Moderatly hot water....mild soap....a long soak....pipe cleaners if you are very careful to keep the metal core off the glass will be the safest thing to use.
Old glass ( pre 1900) is quite fragile and easily scratched....newer glass is sturdier....unless it's lead glass.
Linda c

Bookmark   November 28, 2004 at 11:13PM
JessyFeldm_speakeasy

Easy-off oven cleaner.

Bookmark   December 16, 2004 at 3:49PM
kathyg_in_mi

Head for the dollar store. I've kept my baby bottle brush from years ago and it gets used often. The small brush end would work perfectly for this job.
Kathy G in MI

Bookmark   December 18, 2004 at 4:51PM
More Discussions
easiest way to clean silk plants?
I have a bunch of silk plants, mostly in my kitchen...
drcindy
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
onions on wood cutting board odor removal?
I tried searching and haven't seen this-- We use a...
sheilaaus122
Film on glasses from dishwasher: etched?
The drinking glasses now look cloudy. I have been using...
linnea56
Sponsored Products
Deep Orange Clam Pillow
$120.95 | Bellacor
Antonello Italia | Naxos D Dining Table
YLiving.com
Diamond Sofa Estate Sofa In Mocha
Beyond Stores
WAC Modern Forms | Hiline 8in Outdoor Wall Light
$139.00 | YLighting
Blue Green Gas Outdoor Fire Pit, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
nuLOOM Indoor/ Outdoor Moroccan Trellis Area Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™