1300 Watt Electric or 1200 Watt Induction?

danlembekMay 31, 2008

I need an extra single burner to prepare foods while canning, since the canner takes up practically all of my small stovetop. I don't know whether to go with a 1300 Watt WaringPro electric burner or a 1200 Watt SunPentown induction burner. Does anyone know which can handle 12 quarts of water better?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cpovey

The induction is much more powerful, However, make sure your pot is induction capable before buying the induction burner. If a kitchen (or other) magnet grips tightly to the bottom, you are good to go..

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 12:15PM
danlembek

I need a second opinion to be sure.

Also, will there be a significant difference in power between a 1300 and 1400 watt induction burner?

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 12:23PM
cheri127

I think its worth it to go the extra dollars if you can for the most powerful portable you can find. I have a cooktek 1800 watt and while it boils water much faster that my 15000K gas burner, I can't wait to get my built in so I have more power. If you dont want to spring for the cooktek, get the 1400 sunpentown.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 2:22PM
cotehele

I have cooked on the top of the line Mr. Induction (same as SunPentown) for about a year. It is not necessarily faster than an electric burner. The size of the hob is small, and with a large pot, like a 12 qt canning pot, the bottom of the pot is far beyond the hob. In a race to boil water, the large coil burner on my nearly dead stove boils a big pot of water faster than the induction. Sorry, I cannot be of any help with the electric or gas single units.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 3:32PM
lmalm53

I just got a 1300W Fagor Portable Induction unit to use during my kitchen remodel but also to have as a spare burner. I did do some testing of the unit for boiling water. You can read my results at my post here:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0409504031358.html

Basically I think a full powered induction unit with 1800-3600W would have no problems boiling 12 qts of water. The portable units however, will take a lot more time and may not accommodate the pot size you need. My portable unit's hob can take up to a 10 inch diameter pot. I was able to boil 6qts of water in an 8qt pot in about 20 min but that is certainly not what I would call speedy.

I love the induction and can't wait to get my full size drop in Thermador unit installed later this month. For the purposes you are looking to use a portable unit for, I would definitely look for the higher wattage units even if it costs a little more.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Fagor Portable Induction Unit

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 5:37AM
cj47_gw

I second the vote for induction over a portable electric. I have a Viking 1800 watt that I bought refurbished, it's 1800 watts, which is the highest power that will plug in to a wall outlet. It beats the living daylights out of all but the biggest burner on my Jennair smoothtop. I love cooking on induction, it's fast and clean and incredibly responsive. You wouldn't want to use a portable for canning, but for cooking food while you use your regular stove for canning, I'd say it would work just fine.

Cj

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 3:01PM
More Discussions
Combo Oven/SpeedOven vs. purchasing Oven and SpeedOven separately
We are doing a major kitchen remodel including installing...
card2020
Rangetops - Wolf, Bluestar Platinum, or Bluestar "regular"
I realize some of my questions have been covered, but...
riese1
Water Pooling on Bottom of Refrigerator and Leaking
Hi: I have a Kenmore Pro 48 inch side by side Refrigerator....
Rob Fleming
How to decide on refrigeration? High versus low end.
We are a family of 4 with growing kids; cook almost...
acaba
AGA Marvel Refrigerator - noisy?????
Hello GWrs....hoping one of you owns one of these things...
lisanoon
Sponsored Products
Hinkley Lighting 3716FB Rockford Forum Bronze Flush Mount
Littman Bros Lighting
Savoy House 5-3410-56 Smith Mountain Tortoise Shell Outdoor Sconce
Littman Bros Lighting
Veneto Luce Dakota Straight Bath Bar by Justice Design Group
$297.00 | Lumens
Elk Lighting Jayden Polished Chrome Bath Wall Sconce
$118.00 | LuxeDecor
Bel Air Saddle Rock Outdoor Wall Light - 19H in. - 5043 RT
$112.10 | Hayneedle