French Door Fridge with High Volume Ice Maker

HomeCookAustinMay 1, 2013

I'm moving soon and looking to buy a large french door, bottom freezer fridge (like a 29 cu ft 36" wide).

Would live a built-in in a new house, but at 2-3 times the cost, have decided we can make do with a freestanding and set it back so it is flush with the cabinets.

The problem is we live in a hot climate and use our water dispenser on our current fridge, a Kenmore branded LG, several times a day. The ice maker on our current fridge is in the freezer drawer. This is nice in that the ice maker doesn't take up fridge space. You can put a larger ice pan in the freezer or transfer it out and make a lot of ice. This is great for cooking and our hot climate.

None of the current crop of fridges appear to offer this any more. Every one with a door water dispenser also has a door ice maker that takes up significant space inside the fridge portion. I also assume the production volume is low for door ice makers, and/or getting ice out of the bin is a pain.

Some fridges have dual ice makers. Those might work, but again, we lose space. Although not having to bend over to fill a glass would be nice.

Any ideas? I want to avoid having to buy a dedicated ice machine. I think those might be more trouble than they are worth. But I am willing to do it if that's the right way to go.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SparklingWater

Hi. You might wish to look at GE. I've linked their FD dual ice maker video.

New GE models are: GE Cafe CFE29TSDSS and Profile PFE29PSDSS .

Hope this helps you.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE FD Dual Ice maker link:

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 2:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aurorasur

I am in the same boat. We need a 29 cu ft, 36" wide FD for a family of 6 that has a lot of family and friends over. LG, Samsung and GE(regular GE - not the Profile model) have 29 cu ft dual icemaker FD full depth models. One appliance store we are dealing with believes that Kitchen Aid does too but I cannot find it. They are double checking that for us. Ideally I'd love to do KA FD and DW - as long as KA truly has a 29 cu ft dual icemaker. People are kind of scaring me away from GE, but I really liked the "feel" of their fridge - space light and quality over the LG and Samsung. Although the LG and Samsungs get high marks no doubt! I just know we don;t have room for a separate icemaker. In the hot south, we really need the dual icemaker!! Anyway, that's what we've researched thus far. Good luck!

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Lights on my Jenn-Air dishwasher
I have a two year-old Jenn-Air Trifecta dishwasher...
sail_away
Jenn Air Counter Depth Refrigerator
Hi, We will probably be getting the Jenn Air counter...
C C
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
2 Weeks With my New ASKO Dishwasher--a review
Since very few people here have ASKO dishwashers or...
needinfo1
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Vandit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™