Yikes! Black Scuff marks on brand new flooring!

jiggreenNovember 19, 2006

Hi! We just put down brand new vinyl tile flooring this week and DH brought his air compressor in to install the baseboard moldings and left black scuff marks on the new floor! I have tried using a pencil eraser (somewhere in the past I had heard that worked, but this time it didn't) and I have tried various cleaning products to no avail. The scuff marks aren't the ordinary rubber scuffs, the wheels were a very hard rubbery plastic. I'm kind of freaking out because we are putting our house on the market this week and I don't want black scuff marks! Any ideas on how to remove?

Thanks! jiggreen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tiffanyt

Once again, I brag about the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers!!!! I love these, I haven't found anything that they can't remove.And at around $2, It's worth a try right? Good Luck!

Bookmark   November 20, 2006 at 9:14AM
jiggreen

i tried the mr clean eraser last night, but panicked because it seemed like it was dulling the finish on the floor where i was rubbing at the marks. :( on the plus side, it WAS removing the scuffs, but i'm not sure i want to keep using it on this flooring.

jiggreen

Bookmark   November 20, 2006 at 12:04PM
kris_zone6

Try WD-40, it won't hurt the floor.

Bookmark   November 20, 2006 at 12:17PM
breenthumb

A nylon net scrubber or one of those green scrubby things for pots and pans with a little dish soap should take it off. In a pinch I'd even scrunch up an onion bag. Sandy

Bookmark   November 21, 2006 at 12:25AM
krissie55

Try using a dry paper towel and rub the black marks off.

Bookmark   November 22, 2006 at 9:13PM
Daisy7

I second the dry paper towel!

Bookmark   November 23, 2006 at 11:21PM
owrp

How about Goo-Gone!

Bookmark   November 24, 2006 at 11:12PM
cora_lea

Try this! I discovered it purely by chance when we had contracters here who did the very same thing. I happened to have a "kleenex" (with aloe) in my purse on the counter, grabbed it, and the marks came right off. The next time it happened, I grabbed a paper towel. It worked, but not nearly as easily. I've tried it without the aloe-added tissues and it does not work. The aloe may just be the key! Let me know if it helps!

Bookmark   November 25, 2006 at 10:53PM
carla35

It never really worked on my floor, but my friend says peanut butter works on hers. Of course, then you have to clean up the greasy peanut butter. Good luck!

Bookmark   November 26, 2006 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
Has anyone tried Green Works?
I see Costco has Green Works. DH and I are planning...
myclementine
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™