Can an OTR microwave be used on the counter?

Maine_MareMay 17, 2012

I am completely out of funds after my kitchen reno and looking for a used convection microwave for my pantry. I found a GE Profile but it is an OTR and I need something to go on the counter.

Is it possible to use this on my counter? The location would be in the corner, under an upper cabinet so only one side wall would really be visible. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mojavean

It'll work, but be sure to take the lightbulbs (meant for illumination of the cooking surface) out from underneath it before you put it in service. The bulbs are commonly halogen and they get very hot, hot enough to burn the counter underneath the device. The problem is these lights can be accidentally turned on by someone unfamiliar with the controls of the unit but you may not even see that they are on with the microwave sitting on a flat surface, especially in daylight.

I found this out the hard way when my aged mother managed to turn the lights on with an old OTR MW we had replaced with a hood but kept in service on our countertop. The thing burned a hole in our old formica counters. Don't leave those bulbs in!

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 3:03PM
writersblock

You can buy a countertop convection micro for about a hundred bucks at most big box stores. It will be smaller overall and work better for this kind of use. I'd just manage without while I saved up the money if I couldn't swing the hundred right now.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 3:25PM
weedmeister

check and see if the bottom is flat. It may not be.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 5:23PM
Maine_Mare

Thanks! I decided to pass as it wasn't a terribly cheap microwave and if I'm going to buy something that isn't really right for the space it should at least be cheap :)

Also, GE customer service felt it wasn't going to be good for the microwave to sit on the counter and block the vents.

Writersblock, your suggestion is exactly what I'm going to do. Thanks!

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
good experience with AJ Madison
Got a really good deal on $5k worth of Bosch appliances...
logastellus
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Vandit
self cleaning oven racks
Almost all oven manufacturers require removing oven...
dickross
Jenn Air Counter Depth Refrigerator
Hi, We will probably be getting the Jenn Air counter...
C C
48 inch Bertazoni Dual Fuel or MIELE Range and Combi Oven Steamer
I am putting my options of getting the range. I have...
hkwan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™