cleaning calcium deposits from dishwasher

newsie50November 5, 2004

I am having a lot of problems with mineral deposits on my dishes, pans, and glassware.

I have read previous posts about using vinegar in a cycle to stop the problem.

If anyone can tell me how to do this I would appreciate it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joepyeweed

i load my dishwasher with anything that i think looks spotted or scaled - mainly glasses and silverware. i dump about about 1 cup of vinegar into the dishwasher. i dont measure it, i just splash a couple of glugs into the bottom of the machine. and then i run it on a normal wash cycle with no soap. i am always amazed at how great my glasses look after i do this and its so simple.

if your dishwasher is heavily scummy you may need to repeat it a couple of times... because the vinegar cleans the machine as well as the glasses and silverware.

in lieu of multiple washings you could double the amount of vinegar - but i would rather err on the side of multiple gentle rinsings rather than a too strong of solution that might be hard on rubber parts of the machine. my machine tends to get a crusty hard water stains the nozzle jets in the rotating arm - but after its had a wash of vinegar those little nozzles open right up...

i really find vinegar to be the best cleanser for any hard surface that i want to look shiny and clean.

Bookmark   November 5, 2004 at 5:36PM
beache

The guy who came to repair my dishwasher one time used Tang (yes, the drink powder) to clean the inside of the machine. He says it's the best. He just ran it through a regular cycle with some powder thrown in.

Bookmark   November 19, 2004 at 12:42PM
Lynne_SJO

Yes, Tang is often used for this purpose. To dissolve mineral deposits you need an acid. Tang is high in ascorbic acid, and since it is a powder, it works well in dishwashers - though I have never used it. I think you need to be clear about whether or not you are trying to clean deposits on the inside of the dishwasher versus those on your dishes and glasswear.

To clean the inside of the dishwasher itself, you can try Tang, or one of the products they make for this purpose--check the area in the market where they keep the dishwasher detergent - several companies make a powder for removing mineral deposits.

For running with your regular cycles to keep water spots off of your dishes, I like to use a combination of cascade (powder), Jet Dry (liquid), and Glass Magic (a powder that you sprinkle in the bottom of the DW prior to turning it on).

Lynne

Bookmark   November 20, 2004 at 2:16PM
More Discussions
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
How Do You Clean Whirlpool Jets??
We're building a new house and have ordered a whirlpool...
MrsBigE
cleaning a black granite sink
I am new to this forum and after enjoying scrolling...
debpoll9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™