Smelly Cedar Closet needs help

annova914November 11, 2008

Eight years ago we bought a house that has a walk-in cedar closet. At first we thought it was wonderful but a couple years later I noticed a sickening odor on top of the cedar scent. My husband just sanded the walls and ceiling (per instructions he found at wikihow.com) and ugh...I can still smell that peculiar odor (sorta like a clothes hamper odor). All we're storing in the cedar closet are wool clothes and coats. Is there something we need to do/buy/try to bring back just that cedar scent and get rid of that stale odor? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marlingardener

What type of flooring does the closet have? Your problem may not be with the cedar, but with whatever is on the floor. Usually sanding cedar every few years renews the "cedar" scent.
Also, has your house ever been flooded? There may be something behind the cedar, like mold, that is causing the smell.

Bookmark   November 13, 2008 at 8:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annova914

We have carpet in the closet and yes we had some flooding in the basement 7 years ago but not near this side of the house (and all carpet was replaced and the basement was treated by Servpro). I just opened the door (first time in 4 days) and it smells so much better...like cedar! Maybe it just needed a few days? I'm hoping that other stale-old-hamper-clothes-odor won't return. Thanks for your response.

Bookmark   November 15, 2008 at 1:12AM
More Discussions
Using same vacuum for outside lanai and off white carpet???????
I have one vacuum. It is a Shark Robot. I need to...
mizsusan
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™