Location of lights in the Hood - at the Back or Front?

fatladyMay 14, 2014

The Delonghi hood we are considering purchasing has 2 40 watt halogen lamps, but they are located at the back (against the wall, on the wall mounted, chimney-style hood).

Is that a problem? It seems to me that they should be at the front of the hood for best illumination. Has anyone had a problem with rear mounted lights on their hood??

I suppose this might help with the problem mentioned earlier that the halogens can also cook the top of your head!

(This is a followup to my earlier post about best lighting in the hood. Thanks to all who responded. Very helpful!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Texasgal47

Great questions, thanks for posting! I can't wait to see the feedback.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 3:18PM
sahmmy_gw

The lighting should def be toward the front. If the lighting is toward the back, it's mostly lighting the backsplash. There are so many good hoods on the market, bypass this one and get one with lighting toward the front. I actually didn't know DeLonghi made hoods - not a good sign. Buy from a manufacturer well known for its hoods. There are a ton of threads on this forum which recommend hoods.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 3:26PM
cookncarpenter

My lights are at the front, and angle down/back at about 60*, providing very good lighting of the cooking area. Located in the back, they would need to point forward, which I think would be glaring, and bothersome to the cook.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 4:29PM
plllog

Me too. Lights in front light up cooktop.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 8:44PM
robert_sett

In my opinion, the lights should be in the back. The front burners will receive some light from the overall room lights, it's the rear burners that will be overshadowed by the range hood.

The "Rolls-Royce" of range hoods - Miele - has lights on the back on almost all of their models. Other European manufacturers, like Gaggenau and Futuro Futuro, also usually have lights on the back of their range hoods, or in the front but angled to the rear so they light up the entire cooking surface (see example via link).

Here is a link that might be useful: Concorde wall hood with angled lights

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
Capital Range Customer Service
Mostly people write on the internet forums, such as...
willinak
36 Inch Wolf Range and Fridge
I'm looking at range's for my wife's soon to be kitchen...
amexblackg5
Seeking Bosch Benchmark Feedback
I know there have been a few posts regarding the new...
nadianyc
24" refrigerator. Liebherr, Fagor, LG, etc?
We live in Boston. We are in the market for 24"....
ttkogi
Counter depth refrigerators - who actually stocks them?
I need to replace my current counter depth refrigerator,...
yjacket86
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™