18' dishwasher

cpoveyMay 17, 2012

Greetings all.

I may have to remodel my in-laws kitchen this summer. It's 30-35 years old and worn out. The cabinets are not even worth refacing. They have to be replaced.

This is a small (2 bed /2 bath) condo in a retirement (55+) community. Most people there don't cook much, and the places aren't worth much ($40-45K).

The good news is that range, fridge, and washer/dryer are in decent shape. But the kitchen is so small that the 24" PORTABLE dishwasher takes up a LOT of cabinet space. So I was thinking of putting in a 18" fixed dishwasher to regain some valuable space, but I have no experience with them. Are they decent? Do they work well? Does it hurt resale value having only 18" vs 24"? They seem more expensive than comparable 24" models.

I am leaning towards doing the work myself, as my job is seasonal, and summers are my slow time of year. I am thinking about using Ikea cabinets to help keep costs down.

Your thoughts and opinions on 18" dishwashers are welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maryl1

I have an 18 inch Bosch dishwasher and I love it. It cleans well and is quiet. My kitchen is a galley type so space was a major consideration. I didn't want to sacrifice an extra 6 inches of cabinet space for a full size DW. Yes, they are more expensive. I don't think it would hurt resale value if this is in a retirement community since there are probably only 2 adults in a unit/no children.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 4:02PM
theultimatebikerchic

We also have a Bosch 18" dishwasher and are happy we went with the smaller size. Even so, with just two of us we only need to run it every other day.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 9:44PM
brooklyngalley

Another here with the Bosch 18". We have only had it for a few weeks and we absolutely love it! We are a family of 3 and load it each day, run it every night (we don't even know it's running) and smile every morning at our lovely clean dishes. Not sure about resale - our Brooklyn co-op didn't have a DW when we bought so I am sure it only helps our re-sale - not sure about other markets. Definitely worth the extra cost for us - and we gained a 6" spice drawer base cabinet next to our range which is much more functional for our kitchen.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 9:55PM
More Discussions
Tall wine cooler
Would like some feedback on wine cooler. Some that...
mcaprizs
HELP PLEASE New Dacor range to replace old DCS (Fisher Paykel) range?
We moved into a house that has a 9 year old DCS by...
princesspronoid
Bluestar Electric French Door Wall Oven
Who has one? would love to hear about it! I love the...
Dietitian
Lacanche-beautiful but how functional?
I am very tempted to splurge on a Lacanche for our...
mbwestfall
High end appliances thermador vs. dacor
I currently have dacor ovens. I am trying decide brands...
mcaprizs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™