2 questions: iron & toilet

socksNovember 22, 2009

IRON: Are there any home remedies to clean the soleplate of an iron with something stuck on? Or do I have to go buy the tube of stuff (which I'll probably use once).

TOILET: when toilets are left unused for months at a time, is there something good to put in them to prevent, well to prevent I don't know what, maybe calcium build up or whatever? Or just leave them flushed and as is?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

You could try baking soda on the iron. Take a damp cloth and sprinkle on the soda and scrub the iron. Then rinse the cloth and wipe off the residue. You will have to do this several times to remove all traces of the soda and don't forget the holes.

When the iron is clean plug it in and run the hot iron over a piece of waxed paoer(protect your ironing board with an old cloth---This will put a light coat of wax on the iron and make it glide smmothly.

I have never left my toilet for months but I imagine a capful of bleach will keep the grungies away.

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 3:47PM
susanjn

You can buy the little single use tube of iron cleaner. But why do you think you'll only use it once?

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 10:47PM
dashmo37

I always sprinkled table salt on a sheet of waxed paper and ran the iron across it several times[hot iron]. If it is really dirty I would use baking soda and water paste to scrub it [cold iron].

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 11:56AM
embees

If the toilets are definitely going to sit unused for months (i.e. they're at a vacation home or something), you could always turn off the water supply and drain them after cleaning well. Then they should stay as clean as they were when you left them, other than maybe some dust - ha ha!

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 5:10PM
More Discussions
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
Anyone have this problem with their BONA floor mop?
My BONA floor mop has no trigger pizazz (for lack of...
kaisermust
How Do You Clean Whirlpool Jets??
We're building a new house and have ordered a whirlpool...
MrsBigE
Dirty Coffeemaker Sickness!
Warning: This Is NASTY! So I make a pot of coffee everyday...
tomatozilla
Mold/ Mildew out of clothing, Can it be done?
I have a pink and a blue shirt that were not unpacked...
saphire
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™