Cleaning popcorn ceilings?

austinbeanNovember 26, 2008

Anyone have a good trick for cleaning popcorn ceilings? Especially above my stove bc of grease it is getting a little too dirty/dusty for my liking. Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arizonarose

We had popcorn ceilings in our last house. That was one of things I least liked about the house. If popcorn ceilings haven't been painted, you can't wash them. They will crumble & fall off when you get them wet. Also, they fall off if you bump them dusting them.

I considered wetting and scraping them off, but it was too big a job with cathedral ceilings.

I personally think the only way to clean them, is to paint them...and that's a job because of the deep texture.

Bookmark   November 26, 2008 at 3:25PM
renee_b

Who ever invented popcorn ceilings ought to be shot. I hated them with a passion!!! What I did was get an old sheet and lay it over the stove and counters and got a broom and went back and forth getting the dirt, tiny cobwebs and dust off. Sure, the popcorn came off but at least my ceilings were cleaner. For grease stains on the ceilings, I used Pine-Sol with a rag and gently dabbed at it. I did it this way for the rest of the rooms. Just layed out old sheets to catch all the popcorn that came off while brushuing with the broom. It wasn't a perfect job, but it did look better. In the new house we built, the first thing I wanted to make sure of, that there were to be no popcorn ceilings!

Bookmark   November 26, 2008 at 3:56PM
mary_c_gw

You can't clean them. been there, tried that, refused the T-shirt.

Like renee said, whoever invented them should be shot.

If it is at all an option, get rid of them. Otherwise, they will be a boil on your backside for life.

Bookmark   November 26, 2008 at 10:24PM
earthie

If they are not greasy, you can vacuum them. Set the suction on low. It's amazing how much dark dirt is sitting on all those little popcorn hills.

Bookmark   November 27, 2008 at 1:12AM
bspofford

Popcorn ceilings were invented by a lousy sheetrocker!

Barbara

Bookmark   November 27, 2008 at 2:24AM
pawsitive_gw

He had too much texture left over and, to get creative, he put GLITTER in it. What the heck? Nasty stuff. I scraped our ceilings off and retextured and painted. Never again, I still have a bum elbow almost 20 years later. Popcorn ceilings will kill any sale of a house I look at to buy.

Bookmark   December 6, 2008 at 11:16PM
eaglemom100

Mine don't "look" dirty, but you know they are. Yuck. Guess I should get out the vacuum and get busy.

Bookmark   December 11, 2008 at 9:04AM
socks

Honestly, I'd just leave it. The "popcorn" may be asbestos, in which case it is best left undisturbed.

Bookmark   December 13, 2008 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Using same vacuum for outside lanai and off white carpet???????
I have one vacuum. It is a Shark Robot. I need to...
mizsusan
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™