Shower Floor to Wall Transition Question

jaidogMay 21, 2012

I'm using 12x24 tile on the wall and 2x2 mosaic for the floor of a shower. Wondering how the tile should be laid out at the floor/wall transition.

At the transition between the floor and wall, should A) floor tiles go under the wall tiles, or B) wall tiles go behind the floor tiles [or does it matter]?

I would think option A is better since the caulk line at the transition will be mostly on the wall, and the floor will be mostly tile. With option B, the caulk line will be mostly on the floor which will expose it to more direct water. Is this correct?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anenemity

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm currently tiling my hall bath and am taking the approach you describe in option A. I'm using a 1" hex on the floor and figured that sliding the floor tile under the cove base tile would be better for my sanity than trying to cut all those hexes around the perimeter of the room. It will leave a much cleaner line than all those cut tiles (with my wet saw skills anyway).

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 8:26PM
bill_vincent

Doesn't matter either way.

HOWEVER-- if you're using cove base, the floor tile should ABUTT the base, not slide under it. That completely defeats the purpose of "sanitary base", which is to eliminate the tight corner. As for cutting hex, that's no big deal with a decent wet saw.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 9:20PM
anenemity

Bill, I read many threads on the cove base issue on this site and others, and saw many examples done either way. If I hadn't used the cove base, I would have used 3x6 subway tile which would have had the same 90* transition issue. I'm a mere mortal, not a Tile Deity like you and mongo, so I decided to save myself a severed finger and take the easy way out. I have had enough trouble with flying tile chips just cutting subways in half, I can't imagine the carnage with the hexes.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
Do I really need a steam shower?
We are in the process of finalizing plans for redoing...
attygirl
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Quality manufacturer of bathroom fixtures?
We would like to purchase the best quality for a low...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™