Hood insert over 36" Bosch induction

strayerdarbMay 2, 2013

Hello, I need to choose the ventilation to go over the 36" Bosch 800 induction cooktop. It will be an insert to go in the cabinetry.

I need the filters to be able to go into the dishwasher if that is possible. I don't need it to be the absolute most powerful thing on the planet, but decent clearing of smoke and grease.

I looked on the Bosch website and the one they show is only 29" wide. I am assuming the hood insert should be the same width as the cooking surface, right?

Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcia59

What I've read is the hood should be about 6" wider than the cooktop so you get 3" extra on each side. I'm buying a 30" induction cooktop, so I'm getting a 36" hood. You should get a 42" hood.

The other thing I've been told here is that the rule of thumb for ventilation over an induction cooktop is 100 CFM for every foot of cooktop, so you want at least 300 CFM.

I'll get a hood somewhere between 400 and 450, just to give me a little wiggle room and because that's already a pretty low CFM hood.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 7:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaseki

I don't use length as a criterion for flow rate, as required flow is better determined by hood aperture area and thermal plume velocity, but as I recall the rule of thumb, which was originally commercial, it was based on length of hood boundary, so for island hoods it would be the twice the length plus twice the front-to-back depth times 100 cfm. For wall hoods I think the length was only counted once plus the two sides. If side skirts were used then only the length.

(Note: Commercial hoods have thin sides, so hood aperture is essentially the hood dimensions. Residential hoods may have apertures that are smaller than the hood dimensions. It is aperture that counts for flow rate, but note further that if the aperture does not extend to the limits of the expanding effluent cone, then some of the effluent will not be captured, much less contained.)

For rules of thumb that have some cachet, there is a kitchen ventilation guide at Greenheck.com that has some rules. A link may be found in my Clippings, or rummaging around at Greenheck may be beneficial.

kas

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 10:22PM
More Discussions
Jenn Air Counter Depth Refrigerator
Hi, We will probably be getting the Jenn Air counter...
C C
True Refrigerator (residential)
I came across this beautiful photo of a True refrigerator...
ltislander
Bertazzoni 36" Dual Fuel or other range in price point?
There have been a lot of discussion about the Bertazzoni...
Buttons
Hands On With the New Wolf M Ovens: Good, Bad & Wish They Woulda'
Just (yesterday) got a new Wolf M double oven installed...
applnut2
cooktop
Hi, I finally narrowed down to 3 different 30 inch...
wmc123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™