What features to shop for in an induction cooktop

strayerdarbMay 1, 2013

I'm going shopping in a couple of days for my induction cooktop. I want a 36" cooktop. But other than that what are the features I should evaluate in making the decision?

Such as timers, placement of the hobs, size of hobs, framed vs. unframed, style, placement of the controls, etc.

What's new in 2013 that I might want to look at? If I am armed with a list of things to look for I feel confident I can make a decision fairly quickly.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cavimum

"Such as timers, placement of the hobs, size of hobs, framed vs. unframed, style, placement of the controls, etc.""

If a cooktop, look at its overall height. That could affect storage under the counter top.

Look at overall brand reliability. Consumer Reports publishes this when they do an appliances review, data gathered from subscribers' surveyed.

Another thing to consider is something like Bosch's "Pot Sense" where you can put a smaller pot on a much larger hob, and it will work. Not all large hobs do that on all brands.

This post was edited by Cavimum on Thu, May 2, 13 at 8:06

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 8:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandra_zone6

I have a Bosch 800 which I absolutely love. Pot sense is a great feature. Read reviews, there are some induction units that really make a racket in the kitchen, our Bosch does not. You hear an ever so slight hum when the boost feature is used if no one else is around.

One feature that was a must have when I shopped was having all power levels available at the push of a single control. I did not want to have to slide my finger up and down or to push a button multiple times. If I want a power level of 7, I want to push the power level 7 button.

A feature I love on my unit is the auto shut off timer. When I cook rice or whatever, I can either set the timer and it will beep at me, or I set the shut off timer and it beeps and shuts the hob off- love that feature!

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
Difference between advantium and convection microwave
I had almost decided on the ge advantium (monogram)...
athensmomof3
Getting the most out of Miele Masterchef?
Probably a dumb question... There are a lot of different...
schicksal
Best dishwasher with a heated dry option?
Does anyone have recommendations for a dishwasher that...
My4thGarden
How much Hood CFM to get for Wolf's 6-Burner Rangetop?
Let's say I use all 6 burners at once sometimes (not...
wcutiew
Need help with appliance choices, layout critique
Hey all. We have a preliminary kitchen plan attached. I...
jennifer2413
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™