cleaning formica counter tops

doosey_2009November 11, 2009

I have black and white textured formica counter tops. Over the years they have gotten to feel sticky to the touch. I have tried numerous cleaning solutions but have not been able to resolve this. They look clean but always feel sticky when you touch them. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

If it's textured you have to get in the grooves which you can't do with a cloth. Pour some dish soap on a nail brush or other soft or nylon bristled brush and scrub in a circular motion. Then rinse well
You can protect from stains with a coating of gel gloss wax

Bookmark   November 15, 2009 at 10:49AM
jannie

Once you get the formica clean, you can protect it and give it a sheen with a coating of car paste wax. Did that for years with my 1957- built- kitchen counters. Apply the wax, let it dry to a haze, then buff with a soft clean cloth.

Bookmark   November 15, 2009 at 1:09PM
dilly_dally

The cleaning solution you use should have a degreaser in it. Use something like Fireball or Greased Lightening not the "ordinary" cleaners off of the grocery store shelves. Go to Home Depot or a hardware store. If your counter has texture use a soft scrub brush instead of a sponge/cloth.

Grease build up on plastics that is difficult to remove, is caused by frying. You may want to consider getting a filter fan.

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 11:11AM
More Discussions
How do you clean your oven racks?
I just ran the self-cleaning feature on my Gaggenau...
kawfeeaddict
Castile Soap Dilemma
This has probably been gone over, but I would like...
harlowolivia
Need Suggestions: How Do I Get Smell Out Of Pet Bed?
Not sure where to post this. Needs suggestions. Got...
peabody1
cleaning a black granite sink
I am new to this forum and after enjoying scrolling...
debpoll9
shower doors nightmare
Hello there. My boyfriend is about to sell his house,...
vacuumfreak
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™