Are shower niches hard to keep clean? Ceramic crown molding shelf

Mom23EsMay 13, 2012

I love the idea of shower niches, but I keep envisioning mildew and soap buildup in them they seem like they would be annoying to clean. Are they a pain to clean?

I'm thinking about using ceramic crown molding shelves instead. Has anyone used this stuff? I've included a link to some pictures of the tile. You need to scroll down a few pics to see the crown molding.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to ceramic tile crown molding

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_vincent

This is why nearly every niche I do now has a solid stone shelf to it-- a whole lot easier to keep clean than something with grout joints. I'll also make them big enough so that they have a drip edge to them, so you don't have soap streaks running down your wall.

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 3:20PM
mydreamhome

I second Bill's advice above. Ideally, a solid stone shelf is the way to go. We have this in our master bath and love it. We had it placed about 1' to the right of hte main shower spray to minimize the amount of water that could wash into it.

With that being said, our kids' baths have niches with 4x4 tile as the shelf and we have had no issues. But I also attribute that to using the little clear flexible soap holders with the little tines on them to keep the soap off the tile & placing the niches on the back wall of the tub (farthest away from the water) to minimize the amount of water that gets into the niche in the first place.

I much prefer a niche when you have the option of doing one over those racks that go over the shower arm/attach with suction cups to the wall or having the ceramic soap dish/shelf that protrudes from the wall.

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 9:05AM
salem1772

My DD has tiled niche, and yes, it is not fun to clean. Our newly completed master bath has two ceramic tile 1/4 round shelves in the same color as our shower wall tile. We positioned them in a corner below eye level, one above the other. They aren't huge, but suit our needs just fine. I put the bar of soap, a razor, and a fingernail brush on one, and three bottles of hair products on the other. DH is bald so we don't need lots of room for bottles! The 1/4 round shelves are designed to facilitate water drainage. So far, so good.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 9:40PM
Ruth_123

This is a bug-bear of mine too!

I spotted something in an Australian magazine, which I thought was a great idea. It was a floor to ceiling niche, maybe 12" wide x 4" deep. Little glass shelves were slid into the niche (which I presume were removable). I will see if I can upload an image!

The architectural niches that you suggested are a great idea -
http://www.showershampooshelf-recessedtileniche-soapdishholder.com/
- but in my humble opinion, these would look better (less conspicuous) if you were using white tiles...

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 2:28PM
hags00

I love my niche and although I don't have solid stone on the bottom, I have one piece of tile (no grout lines). Very easy to clean, just remove the bottles and wipe.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
Vanity from CabinetDIY - FYI
Just an FYI: we started to build the vanity from a...
melle_sacto
Finishing touches – Towel Ring location, need opinions
Hello. My bathroom is starting to come together and...
mrsshayne
Toilets, anyone?
Ten years ago we put in the Toto Ultramax after reading...
anniel58
mother of pearl tile
I'm thinking of doing my master bath with mother of...
berdavids
Shower door for neo-angle
If you have a neo-angle shower where the tiled walls...
cataan
Sponsored Products
Prandina | Ginger T50 Table Lamp
$890.00 | YLighting
Campania International Mugwiggen The Gardening Gnome Cast Stone Garden Statue -
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Egg Shaper Set
$12.99 | zulily
LBL Lighting | Paige Pendant Light
$288.00 | YLighting
Sweet Jojo Designs Grey/ White Chevron Zigzag Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
Coastal Shower Doors Shower Enclosures Paragon Series 25 in. x 74 in. Framed
Home Depot
Fima Frattini by Nameeks S5004/4 Free Standing Faucet with Hand Shower - S5004/4
Hayneedle
DreamLine 60 x 36 SlimLine Single Threshold Shower Base
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™