soaker bath tub with shower?

luvpatch2May 21, 2013

Can you combine a soaker tub with a shower? We now have a tub/shower combo in our middle bathroom that we will be remodeling soon and I would like a soaker tub. Thanks for any input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Sure. There are plenty of deep tubs with an integral tile flange. If you mean can you do a drop in or undermount with a shower, the answer is NO. You have to do an alcove installation to keep the water overspray from the shower going back into the tub. That's what the tile flange is for. It's like the roof flashing.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 4:25PM
ChristaM

Some tubs can have the flange installed prior to shipping. The Hydro Systems Lacey has this option.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 10:12AM
GreenDesigns

I don't know of any manufacturer that will warrant an after market tile flange installation to remain waterproof. Sure, they'll sell it to you. But will they actually stand behind it?

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 2:47PM
naadimre

i was contemplating this exact same thing for our remodel. in the end, we're going to forego the soaker tub and just do a luxury shower. but i'm gonna include some pics here that i found in my research. fyi, check out houzz if you haven't already. that's where i've found most of my ideas and these photos.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/296757/Globus-Builder-contemporary-bathroom-los-angeles

http://www.houzz.com/photos/3635777/img--2--jpg---

when i spoke to my contractor about it, he told me the problems with these is that soaker tubs require a large step up to get into it, and i'd agree looking at these photos. in this case, it may not be so practical.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 5:03PM
ChristaM

If you really want a soaker tub and it needs to also have a shower, then get the tile flange installed, hire an experienced, quality tile contractor, and get what you want.

Worst case scenario, you need to wipe down the edge of the tub after your showers. So I wouldn't do it in a kid's bathroom, or if you don't have time to wipe it down once in a while, or for some reason your bathroom is especially humid... sure, worry. But essentially you need to do what you want. It's your house.

My existing tub has a very funky shower/tile/top of tub situation going on. It's 25+ years old, and it's fine.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 12:26AM
More Discussions
Vanity from CabinetDIY - FYI
Just an FYI: we started to build the vanity from a...
melle_sacto
Console legs for wall-mount sink?
We have installed this sink in our bathroom: http://www.ybath.com/duravit-starck-3-double-furniture-washbasin.html?utm_medium=pla&utm_source=google&utm_content=duravit-starck-3-double-furniture-washbasin&cvosrc=pla.google.duravit-starck-3-double-furniture-washbasin&gclid=CKjNlI3C08QCFYhhfgodmE8A8Q The...
lesleymatson
New build master bath layout help please
I’m a little stuck, and looking for ideas. In the...
am_e
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
Master Bath Reveal - Small space, big style
We don't have the bathroom shade installed yet, but...
piscesgirl
Sponsored Products
Sonneman Tubo Slim Satin Nickel & White LED Bath Bar Light
$250.00 | LuxeDecor
Soft Square 22 1/4" Wide Chrome Triple Light Fixture
Lamps Plus
Atelier Tub Mat
Grandin Road
Sheffield 72" Double Bathroom Vanity by Wyndham Collection - Espresso
Modern Bathroom
Belle Meade Rubbed Bronze Two-Light Bath Fixture
$134.00 | Bellacor
Frosted Glass Bathroom Shelf With Moka Frame
TheBathOutlet
Meditub 36x60 Left Drain White Whirlpool Jetted Walk-In Bathtub
Beyond Stores
Progress Lighting P3027-09 Victorian One-Light Brushed Nickel Bath Light With Wh
Progress Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™