cleaning glass with hard water or calcium stains

bennyhahaNovember 18, 2009

I've been trying to clean my shower glass with CLR and a razor/scraper... it gets 85% of the calcium deposits, but I really want to get it all... anyone have a suggestion for a next step?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

Try white vinegar first to loosen the worst stains. If you can drape a vinegar soaked towel or sheet over the door and let it sit for a while.

Then use gel gloss glass cleaner It cleans waterspots from glass and gives it a protective coating so spots stay away

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 2:42PM
sheilajoyce_gw

I am amazed how well vinegar gets off those mineral deposits around my faucets. Try it.

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 2:53PM
annie1971

I've been through this with our home that is now 15 years old. For many years before we remodeled our bathroom I was stymied by what seemed to be hard water stains on our glass (it's different, by the way, on tile). Glass is etched by our repeated use of cleaners and eventually, the water is etched into the glass and will never, never be cleaned out. If you are not in a position to remove and replace the glass, stop, STOP using caustic cleaners on your glass. Vinegar will remove immediate deposits but will not remove the etched-in deposits of repeated toxic cleaner use. You can try other non toxic glass cleaners that might brighten your glass as a whole, but you will not remove the etched in deposits from the past. Sorry -- been there.

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 10:22PM
ecogirl91304

Instead of harsh chemical sprays, get those windows and mirrors crystal clear with a simple solution of white vinegar, newspaper and a little elbow grease. YouÂll also save money and the hassle of needing to stock more cleaning supplies.

ItÂs simple: get some white distilled vinegar and dispense into a used spray bottle. Squirt on, then scrub with newspaper, not paper towels, which cause streaking.

If you donÂt like the smell, you can add 4 tablespoons of vanilla extract or lemon juice depending on your preferred scent.

If there are any stubborn stains you can sprinkle baking soda on them after you spray with vinegar and scrub with a sponge.

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 8:13PM
ScotGidley

I think you should try vinegar. It will remove that spots completely. It smells a little different, but if you are not a smell sensitive person, you won't have any problem.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 2:41AM
More Discussions
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
Need Suggestions: How Do I Get Smell Out Of Pet Bed?
Not sure where to post this. Needs suggestions. Got...
peabody1
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
Dirty Coffeemaker Sickness!
Warning: This Is NASTY! So I make a pot of coffee everyday...
tomatozilla
Removing Stains Caused by Stain Removers - Carpet
Hi all, What's the best way to remove stains on a Sofa,...
afrolawnmower
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Spruce Street Sofa – Upholstered
Serena & Lily
Thermocast Utility Sinks Kensington Undermount Acrylic 25x19.5x12 0-Hole Single
Home Depot
Paula Deen River House Dining Arm Chair - River Bank - Set of 2 - UNIR2164
$800.00 | Hayneedle
Juno Under Cabinet Lighting Pro-Series 46 in. Fluorescent White UnderCabinet
$87.97 | Home Depot
Tiny Train� Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Infants & To
$255.95 | Bellacor
Black & Decker White 16-cup Rice Cooker
Overstock.com
Indoor Blue Abstract Area Rug (7'10 x 10')
Overstock.com
Meridian Chrome Three Light LED Bath Fixture
$509.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™