Textured tile for shower walls- bad idea?

mary1000May 2, 2013

We are remodeling our master bathroom. We love a tile made by Happy Floors in their "glamour" collection (color grey, see photo).

The tile looks like linen and when you run your hand across it, it has a slight texture (the lines are slightly raised). We want to use this tile for the walls of the shower, but I am worried about whether the tiles will collect soap scum, mineral deposits, etc due to their texture.

is there anything I should do to prevent this, or should I keep shopping?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raehelen

Is it polished? Can't tell from the quality of the pic. I like the look of the textured tile, haven't had any first hand experience, but am thinking if you squeegee or microfibre walls after each shower (I do that with my shower, though I'm pretty sure no one else in the family does), and stay on top of cleaning, it should be fine. If anything, the texture may hide waterspots, etc that would be more noticeable on a smooth polished tile.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 5:03PM
sweetremodel

If it's a porcelain tile that's safe for wet conditions, the texture should not be a problem. I would just consult with the sales rep.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 7:01PM
ivester

@mary1000 Did you end up getting this tile? I am going through the same exact decision!

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 12:44PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Is it porcelain? If so, you can use a daily shower spray (something like Clean Shower) and no soap scum/hard water will stick to the walls or fixtures. These type sprays cannot be used on natural stone.

-Babka

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 1:46PM
chispa

I think it should be fine. If it is porcelain then you should be able to use a soft/medium bristle brush when you clean to get any dirt out of the slight ridges.

I've been looking on Houzz for some bathroom ideas and a few of the showers had some type of stacked stone ... they looked pretty but would be difficult to keep clean if the shower is used regularly.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 2:53PM
jerzeegirl

I am fretting over a similar decision, but the tile I like is even more textured. I asked about cleaning it. It was obvious you couldn't used a sponge or cloth on it ever - you would have to use a brush which wouldn't be the end of the world. What made me pause was the idea of funky things hanging out in the crevices of the parts of the shower that you missed with the brush! I still think about that tile but I just can't see how it would work.

Here is a link that might be useful: I just love this tile!

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
Originally posted in "Plumbing" I cannot...
rantontoo
Shower door for neo-angle
If you have a neo-angle shower where the tiled walls...
cataan
tile drywall corner transition
I'm trying to figure out how to complete the corner...
mattt19
Toilets, anyone?
Ten years ago we put in the Toto Ultramax after reading...
anniel58
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
Sponsored Products
Mosaic Tile: Merola Tile Flooring Crag Square Multi Grey 11-3/4 in. x 11-3/4
$12.95 | Home Depot
Brown Tile Natural Texture Rug
$19.99 | zulily
Martha Stewart Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Martha Stewart Living Rugs Byzantium
Home Depot
Sample- Geological Tao Black Slate & Rainbow Black Glass Tiles Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
French Tile Tea Green Full / Queen Quilt
$93.95 | Bellacor
Martha Stewart Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Tangier Cream/Chocolate 5' 3" x 7' 7"
Home Depot
Sample-Highland Kensington Sand Beach and Wooden Beige Marble and Glass Tile Sam
$2.99 | TileBar
Cotton Linen 20 x 20 Decorative Pillow
$88.40 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™