Your favorite all purpose household cleaner? (recipe inside)

xhappyxNovember 8, 2009

What is your favorite all purpose cleaner for around the house? Do you purchase it or make your own?

I started to make my own about 10 years ago and honestly I think it is some of the most wonderful stuff in the world. It is cheap to make and it lasts a long time. Here is my recipe:

1 cup of vinegar

1 cup of household ammonia

1 Tablespoon of dishwashing liquid

1 pint of rubbing alcohol

Put this in a gallon container and fill with water and shake. Then fill spray bottles as needed. It cleans windows without streaks and everything else in the house. The addition of the rubbing alcohol helps it to dry faster to a streak free shine.

I have saved a bundle on buying all those all purpose cleaners and it isn't super highly scented and once it dries you just have a clean area without all those strong toxic fumes.

I buy my ammonia at the dollar store 1/2 gallon at $1 and the rubbing alcohol I was buying 2 for $1 but the price just went up to $1 each.

I keep gallons of vinegar around the house for other cleaning.

This is super cheap to make and it works as good as 409 and Fantastik without the sticker shock or fumes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

Not an all purpose cleaner-this is my go-to for spot cleaning carpets or after a pet accident:
half a bottle of hydrogen peroxide
2-3 tablespoons of baking soda
squirt of Dawn dishwashing liquid.
Nix in a pitcher, pour on stains. Really saturate. Blot and your carpet will be clean, even works on old stains.

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 9:29AM
jasdip

Bringing this to the top to ask if you've used it on the car windshield.

I use it in the kitchen and bath, on mirrors, counters, the sinks etc. I gave it to hubby to clean the car windows. They look great, but in the rain today, my wipers were dragging along the windshield (staccato) and making the horrible noise. They've never done that before. Would this solution not be good for the car windshield or the wipers?

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 6:50PM
jenna1

I use a similar concoction myself but I don't add rubbing alcohol and altho I've never used it on car windows it works well for me for lots of things, as well as house windows. Although truthfully I normally l use a corn starch and water solution for windows, inside and out.

Jasdip, I'm wondering how old your wipers are. Whenever our wipers start that annoying sound my husband changes ours and the noise is gone. Another question, was the solution wiped off well?

Jenna

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 12:08AM
mdln

This concentrated version, not the multiple other Lysol products. I vary the concentration depending on the crud factor.

OMG - why is pic so huge?

This post was edited by mdln on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 1:57

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 1:56AM
jasdip

Hi Jenna,
The wipers were under a year old, but we changed them to new ones anyway. No more noise!

I'm real happy and hubby is real impressed with the cleaning ability of the op's recipe.

I wonder about using just cornstarch and water, but it might be worth a try, since you're having success with it!

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 11:44PM
ScotGidley

I am always very careful about germs, bacteria and unnecessary chemical exposure, vacuum cleaner is my favourite purpose to clean my house floors. Well I really like your recipe for cleaning purpose, I tell my housekeeper to apply these recipe for cleaning home.

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 4:09AM
More Discussions
Red wine on wall - help!
Hi. We just finished our major kitchen remodel (thank...
nicole93089
Sink Scratches
My white (porcelain?) sink gets silvery scratch marks...
jinnufr
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Help! Lime Away hurt my sink!
Hi all, I had a new cleaning lady work in my cottage...
jlknovi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™