Struggling to pick a flooring material

EngineerChicMay 14, 2012

We are remodling 2 bathrooms & I need to pick a floor. I can't even pick a material right now, I'm in decision fatigue (we built a new second floor - this is the millionth decision I'm making).

Wants:

Easy to clean

Feels good underfoot (rules out ceramic tile & stone)

Colors: cool blue, green, gray.

I got some samples of a VCT (vinyl composition tile) that I thought would be really durable - this is the stuff they use in grocery stores. But it scratched REALLY easily.

The rest of the house is hardwood, including the room/hallway that leads to these bathrooms. I am at a loss for what to use. The linoleum/marmoleum I've seen isn't in patterns I like. I'm worried vinyl will look cheap. But I really don't like standing on ceramic tile in my bare feet.

Why is this decision so bleeping hard?

Any suggestions? We're going for a classic look - white fixtures, white tiles with black accent pieces, chrome fixtures, and a granite vanity top (White Nepal, it has gray-green-blue tones in it). The vanities are a warm-walnut color ... they are shown with a gray & white marble top but we went with granite for more stain resistance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thrilledtobuild

What about heated tile or stone? We have a classic black and white look in our master, and used marble basketweave for the floor. I love the way it feels on my barefeet - almost like a little massage - but our floor is heated, so it's always warm and comfortable. I love standing on it! Good luck with the decsions!

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 3:01PM
tuesday_2008

Are you brave enough to do hardwood? That is what I am going to do in my bath (when life quits getting in the way). I love the look of wood flooring with white vanity, etc.

I currently have HW in DH's bath - been down for about 17 years.

Tuesday

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 4:07PM
dekeoboe

I was going to suggest Marmoleum, but you said you didn't like the patterns. Have you actually seen them in a store or ordered samples? I find they look different in real life than they do on the computer.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 4:19PM
EngineerChic

I did look at the marmoleum samples & I wanted something more "swishy" and less "speckly".

I went back to the store & selected a "Luxury Vinyl" by Mannington. It looks like tile, which is the look I like, just not the feeling. And it feels good underfoot. I brought the sample home to check it against the hardwood floor that will be in the adjacent room/hallway.

It looks good. I saw one floor there I loved but it was nearly black & showed scratches, so again, not a good option.

It's funny, on some things I knew exactly what I wanted & there was no deviating from it. Like - the windows, the doors, the cast iron tub & shower pan, and the door knob rosettes & color of the knobs. And some things were easy - I wanted to match the first floor flooring (2.5" white oak hardwoods). But man, lights and this bathroom floor were REALLY hard to figure out.

-EChic

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinyl floor

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 9:10AM
kirkhall

I'd love to see updates of your second floor addition. :)
And, I like my vinyl floors. I think you will like yours too.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 3:38PM
More Discussions
What do you think about tiling the ceiling of the shower?
This dovetails with previous posts where I've discussed...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Need advice on shower valve location!!!
We are considering a fixed wall or glass divider for...
aboutdabass
Need advice. Subway tile on uneven kneewall
So I was kinda pissed off when I walked into my bathroom...
Michael Coates
design help- white quartz countertops on vanity?
we are building a home & I am struggling with design...
misschris15
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™