How to clean a dirty enamel tea kettle

mommabirdNovember 23, 2012

My tea kettle sits on my stove all the time. It is whiteand had brownish gunk from cooking that would not come off with scrubbing.

I decided to try oven cleaner. I got the no fume type that works in a cold oven. I put the kettle in the sink and sprayed the entire outside then let it sit for an hour. I came back and washed it with a plastic scrub pad and dish soap. All the gunk came off, even the really bad spots on the bottom.

A $3 can of oven cleaner saved the day! Now I don't have to get a new kettle.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

Buy a bottle of store brand cheapo Sudsy Ammonia. For me it costs less than $2. Pour that in the kettle full strength and let it sit (cold) overnight. The next morning all that gunk will be loosened enough you can scrub it off. Don't heat the ammonia or mix with any other chemicals.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 8:25AM
azzalea

I'd strongly recommend using non-toxic cleaners on ANYTHING you put food (or water your family will drink) in. You could have gotten the same results by making a paste of baking soda and water, spreading it over the spots and letting it sit for a bit before cleaning it with a non-abrasive nylon scrubber. A cut lemon rubbed on the spots is also very effective (I've actually cleaned my oven with lemon--it's amazing. Please, next time, start with something that won't poison your family if by any chance any residue remains on the pot.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 7:34PM
mommabird

I was talking about the outside of the kettle - not the inside. I'd already tried vinegar, baking soda, ammonia, orange cleaner and noting would take off the gunk. It was like the gunk that gets on your oven walls. I have a glass top stove and wonder if that has anything to do with it. When I had a burner stove, the tea kettle did not get this brown buildup on the outside.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
Anyone have this problem with their BONA floor mop?
My BONA floor mop has no trigger pizazz (for lack of...
kaisermust
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
easiest way to clean silk plants?
I have a bunch of silk plants, mostly in my kitchen...
drcindy
cleaning a black granite sink
I am new to this forum and after enjoying scrolling...
debpoll9
How Do You Clean Whirlpool Jets??
We're building a new house and have ordered a whirlpool...
MrsBigE
Sponsored Products
Designers Fountain 82911 Tackwood Semi-Flush Light - 82911-BNB
$84.20 | Hayneedle
Floral 'Faith' Tea Light Holder
$14.99 | zulily
Model 2633-24: Olympus Tradition Crackled Bronze with Silver Three-Light Bath Fi
$97.20 | Bellacor
Le Marais Tea Light Holders - Set of 4
Ballard Designs
Capresso Conical Burr Grinder
$149.99 | FRONTGATE
Furniture of America Tea Time 3-Piece Nesting Ottoman with Tray Table
Overstock.com
Tea Bucket Mug, Set of 2
The City Farm
Chimney Stack Outdoor Hanging Lantern
Lightology
People viewed this after searching for: