stone veneer

AnnicadeApril 4, 2012

I finally found the stone veneer I love. I went to the actual stone making site and did a custom blend. I have some grays and some browns and bone ....about 7 colors. I know many say blend two different kinds together. Do you think with more colors that it takes longer to put on. I am hoping my masonary won't say the job will take longer now...therefore cost more to put on! I looked high and low for a color I liked. so finally I went in the the warehouse and picked a blend of the colors I liked and started stacking it The stone company boxes it in 10 sq. ft. boxes with the blend in each box. is it really much more work??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovator8

Mixing colors usually slows the work down and cost more.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 3:38PM
worthy

Especially if the owner wants to stand over the mason and pick out each of the seven(!) colors she wants and where to place them.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 6:58PM
Annicade

The advice on this site is to blend two different colors types and most manufacture have 3-4 colors per color type... i just customized the shades. I wont be standi g over the mason...i am not that picky. Just picky Choosing the stone color that i will live with forever and want to love. Thanks for the input

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 8:56PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

A 7 color mix would just about double the labor price for the install. If you truly don't love any other blend, then go for it if your pocketbook can stand it. Or, you could get the stone delivered and take a week mixing up the boxes yourself and then all the mason would have to do is grab the right shape---which is harder than it seems as you also have to make sure that the right shape is also the right color. Even if you mix it on the front end, you will still have a more difficult install to make sure the colors are distributed "randomly".

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 11:18PM
Annicade

Just pulled the stone out and it is only 4 colors...love it. Talked to masonry and said with there would be no double work even w 7 colors. Maybe a day. So overall great news.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
Floorplan review please
I would love to get feedback on this floor plan. The...
boonieshome
Shook Hill Plan Modifications -- input please!
Hi -- We are just sitting down to the drawing board...
Emptynesteralmost
help me choose our floors
We have 2 options for our floors - white oak (longer...
3ilovepie
Are these doors acceptable to you?
These are walnut interior doors. I understand that...
pumpkinhouse
Is the 'remote' home office worth it?
We need an office for DH that is away from the day-to-day...
edwardshome
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™