How do you dust a window ledge 16' off the ground?

daphnarNovember 11, 2009

I have a two-story entrance (22' ceiling) with a large window above the door. The ledge of the window (maybe 16' up) is really dusty after our 3 years of living here. I can see the dust very well from the second floor landing and when I walk down the steps.

How should I clean it? Does anyone have a telescoping duster they recommend? I saw one at Frontgate but it seemed pricey. Any other ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

I have posted this before to describe how I accessed a foyer chandelier: I dragged the kitchen table into the foyer. Then I covered the table with a piece of cardboard. I placed my step ladder on the table, then placed a sturdy chair next to the table. I stood on the chair, stepped onto the table, then climbed the ladder.

Since you are dealing with a ledge, you could simple buy a $60 lightweight aluminium extention ladder and lean it against the ledge.

Bookmark   November 11, 2009 at 6:36PM
lizbeth-gardener

I have a two story foyer with a chandelier and window ledge. I bought the telescoping wand and several different dusting heads from Frontgate. They work well, but were expensive. Shortly after I bought it, I saw the same thing at Sear's Hardware for much less. I think if you look around you can find it for much less. I would check Bed, Bath and Beyond, Home Depot, Lowes and maybe online. Good Luck!

Bookmark   November 11, 2009 at 9:09PM
mikie_gw

i'd probably go buy two sticks of pvc pipe
heat and bend one end to nice angle
and duct tape a duster on it.

Bookmark   November 14, 2009 at 5:55PM
daphnar

Definitely don't feel comfortable standing on a ladder on the table. Will check the hardware stores. If anyone knows of a product offhand, I'd appreciate it!

Bookmark   November 14, 2009 at 6:38PM
daphnar

Found a local janitorial supply company. They sold me a 12 foot extension rod and duster. Saved $50 off of Frontgate price.

They said it would reach 30 feet as you would hold the rod over your head (and depending on your height that would be 6 - 8 feet). Turns out that isn't quite true (for those of you who may be in the same boat) as the rod and duster, although the rod is hollow, is somewhat heavy to hold over your head and manipulate. I'm more comfortable having some of the rod below my hands.

Did work though. No more dust kitties on the ledge!

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 3:45PM
kudzu9

I found a 6' aluminum extension pole for about $10 at Home Depot; it extends to 12'. I taped a duster to the end of it at an angle, and I can reach 16' easily by holding it above my head. I wouldn't want to do that all day, but I'm good for 5 minutes.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 5:57PM
More Discussions
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Castile Soap Dilemma
This has probably been gone over, but I would like...
harlowolivia
Mold/ Mildew out of clothing, Can it be done?
I have a pink and a blue shirt that were not unpacked...
saphire
Film on glasses from dishwasher: etched?
The drinking glasses now look cloudy. I have been using...
linnea56
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
Sponsored Products
Samsung Galaxy S3/S4 Secret Wallet
$35.50 | FRONTGATE
Italian Bathroom Sink
maestrobath
Tech Lighting | Aero Low Voltage Head
$124.00 | YLighting
Bow Brushed Nickel Three-Light Bath Bar w/ 5.5-Inch Teal Crystal Glass
$297.00 | Bellacor
Line Voltage 178 Track Head by WAC Lighting
$18.00 | Lumens