Tile or Glass--what's easier to clean?

erikarochelleNovember 14, 2012

We are in the process of remodeling, and I have a choice to put in a glass wall or a tiled wall in the shower. Which is easier to clean? I would have thought glass, but my sister has a glassed shower and swears it's the bane of her existence. Anyone have a glass shower wall and can tell me their experiences?

I don't really want to have to squeegee the shower every day...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

I don't squeegee. After my shower, I just use a towel to wipe down fixtures and shower glass. Have been doing that for 12 years now and have no mineral buildup. Takes about 1 minute and is much easier that using a squeegee, IMO.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 12:19PM
erikarochelle

Ugh. See, wiping with a towel to me is the same as squeegeeing. It's still wiping down the walls of a small room multiple times a day.

Sounds to me like glass is totally out, since I don't have to wipe down my tile walls every day. Unless anyone else has a different experience to share?

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 9:01AM
justretired

Love the look, hate the upkeep. Another squeegee person here.....

JR

P.S. If you do decide to go glass an occasional cleaning with fabric softener sheets has been the key for me. Even with the daily squeegee minerals do build up.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 10:22AM
jannie

Ask your sister why she hates glass. I vote for tile in a bath or shower. I hate those glass and plastic shower enclosures you see. After I shower, I dry myself, then quickly wipe down the tile with my used towel.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 9:29AM
graywings123

My first thought was to say tile since you don't want to squeegee. But I suspect frosted glass is more forgiving than clear glass. Maybe frosted and vertically wavey?

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 9:56AM
emma

We put a clear glass shower in one of our rentals and it always look terrible. To much cleaning.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
Getting Cigarette Smoke Out of Clothes
My daughter's friend gave her a lot of clothes. Friend...
monicakm_gw
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™