clean grout or repaint?

cindiw2November 25, 2009

My grout got really dirty, sometimes the lines are black grunge, sometimes they're beige, the original color. Suggestions for cleaning the grout would be welcome. Also, what about painting the grout? My color is beige, not white. Suggestions also welcome. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

There are several household things that will clean grout and many products on the market. A list of the household products is at this site. The black is probably mildew. If you treat the grout often you won't get it back.

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/990510a.cfm

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 3:54AM
jannie

The grout in my bathroom was very grungy and dirty. It should be-it was nearly 50 years old. One morning, I took some leftover white ceiling paint, a small paintbrush and proceeded to "paint' all the grout lines, then wiped over the entire floor with a wet towel, wiping away all the excess paint but leaving the grout "cracks" full of white paint. When it dried, my floor looked brand new. This really worked.

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 12:20PM
cindiw2

My floor is only about 2 years old; I think the tile layer was tired and tried to do a fast job. Well, anyway, I went to HD today and found a small container of premixed grout. I tried using Lysol last night and a scrub brush; that worked pretty well, but I still need to color and fill the holes & grout lines.
That paint idea sounds pretty good, jannie. I would think that waterproof paint might really be good for that type of thing.
I'm going to think about getting a Scumbuster by Black & Decker soon, I hear they're pretty good to clean tile floors, etc. The guys at HD were suggesting that after I clean and repair the grout I should seal it.

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 6:26PM
krissie55

I painted the grout in a bathroom about 5 years ago. The paint has now worn off in many areas, other areas is splotchy look. I need to paint the grout again, it look terrible right now.

I used diluted latex house paint.

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 9:00PM
cindiw2

well, anyway, HD showed me a product that has various colors which is made specifically to paint and seal grout.

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 9:06PM
cindiw2

Thanks. Here's what I did: I went to HD and bought a container of grout touchup (it's grout), and I smudged it over the old grout. It looks great. Plus I ordered a Scumbuster from someone on ebay and am expecting it to be delivered hopefully today. I read good things about it on gardenweb. Once I get the lines to look really good again (I only did a few tiles), I will apply sealer.

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 10:16AM
More Discussions
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
Carpet Cleaning: Can it Ruin the Carpet?
I've never had a professional carpet cleaning, but...
Cassandra
easiest way to clean silk plants?
I have a bunch of silk plants, mostly in my kitchen...
drcindy
Film on glasses from dishwasher: etched?
The drinking glasses now look cloudy. I have been using...
linnea56
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
Sponsored Products
Cuisinart Coffee Plus Programmable Coffee Maker
$99.95 | FRONTGATE
Minx Pendant No. EP96015 by ET2 Lighting
$52.00 | Lumens
Darts Game Pillow
Grandin Road
Emerald Home Grand Rapids 1-Drawer End Table - Latte Oak - T3411-01
$226.26 | Hayneedle
Beige Lines Embroidered Flat Sheet - Queen
Crane and Canopy