Moth ball smell

Heather1970November 20, 2009

My friend gave a pair of jeans to my daughter that she ordered from The Children's Place off the internet.

They reek of moth balls. We have washed them twice and sprayed febreze on them and they still stink. Does anyone have a suggestion for getting the smell out of the jeans?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

Hang them outside on a sunny dry day. My husband's aunt had a house that reeked of mothballs. She thought they would keep insects and spiders out. I got physically ill every time we visited her.

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 9:24AM
susanjn

Do you think it could be something other than mothballs?

I have some black jeans from LL Bean, and my daughter has some gray jeans from Target that both have an odd smell. They have both been washed many times with no improvement. What color are your daughter's new jeans? I was thinking it might be something in the black/gray dye.

Bookmark   November 21, 2009 at 5:55PM
groomingal

Charlies soap or add vinegar to the wash

Bookmark   November 27, 2009 at 1:46AM
dsb22

This may be too late, but I had a somewhat similar problem this past summer and came across this product http://www.scoe10x.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=18

I did not actually get it though. In my case, the problem was an old coat from my MIL. It stunk like mothballs so I foolishly washed it with a load of other clothes. It made the entire load smell. I left the coat in the sun for days with zero impact, I gave up on it. However the rest of the clothes were pretty much back to normal after two or three washes with vinegar.

Bookmark   November 30, 2009 at 1:49PM
Heather1970

They are regular blue jeans. I've noticed that odd smell with black jeans too.
I soaked them in water with vinegar and oxyclean. Then washed them again and sprayed them with febreeze.
They still have a faint smell but it's definitely better. I'll try hanging them outside on a couple of dry days.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Bookmark   November 30, 2009 at 8:47PM
wekick

I got some clothing like that and I supect it is some kind of pesticide. I just kept washing and after 6-8 washes the smell was gone but it makes you wonder if they are safe.

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 5:03PM
mikie_gw

Chinese factories like to play tricks on the manufacture of products bound for America.
I have shirts that first wash the buttons, every one of them fell off.. no sign of threads at all after the wash. They have an odor still after many washes. Odd materials used that some USA educated grad student now working textiles in his home country china substituted on the specs. They couldnt get the specified materials or just cut corners.
Funny haha, and saved some money on that contract - they won't know.

Bookmark   December 8, 2009 at 11:02PM
jjaazzy

Fabric softener is the key to get out funky smells in clothing. Run your wash as usual and set it up with liquid softener. Works like a miracle.

Bookmark   December 15, 2009 at 12:28AM
susanjn

Wouldn't that just cover the smell with another (worse) smell?

Bookmark   December 16, 2009 at 11:59PM
More Discussions
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease
Well, I let my frying pan with grease get too hot,...
junkyardgirl
cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass
Help! Something ( material unknown) burnt onto the...
clancyspad
Using same vacuum for outside lanai and off white carpet???????
I have one vacuum. It is a Shark Robot. I need to...
mizsusan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™