Rust from Washing Machine

oceangirlmeOctober 17, 2008

My mother ran a load of wash at their second home and a white bedspread now has slotchy rust stains. This has never happened before. The bedspread is still damp. What is the best way to get rid of the rust stains? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

With a rust remover like whink.
Linda C

Bookmark   October 18, 2008 at 10:29AM
monaw

OH- TOO BAD! Unfortunately it looks like she needs a new washing machine.
My sister had a washer that kept doing that. She ruined a whole bunch of stuff and finally got a new washer.

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 11:55AM
christen7

Whink works wonderfully!!

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 4:18PM
izzie

I had an old dryer I had to be careful with rust problems (I have replaced it)If clothes didn't get fully dry and I forgot them for a day there would be rust stains. My mom told me to use table salt and lemon juice and put it sun. It did work with most spots. I didn't always put in sun. It sometimes would take a number of treatments...Its probably best not to dry in dryer, the clothes that were stained in a washer, that would set the stains more

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 8:28AM
cleo07

The same thing happened to me but my washer is relatively new so I knew it was something besides an old drum. I got out my flashlight and found an old bolt or screw had become wedged in the channels and was getting rust over my clothes. Make sure you check for something like this. I never did get the rust out of most of the 3 loads of rust stained laundry.

Bookmark   October 22, 2008 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
Home library is musty smelling
I have a wall, floor to ceiling, of built in bookshelves...
liseebird
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™