Built in soap dish in shower has old soap crust like stone!

linnea56October 27, 2013

I would need a chisel to get this residue out! I actually made a ceramic liner to go into it (I take pottery classes for fun), that I can remove to wash. But until I can get the old crust out, I can''t use it. I use that Scrubbing bubbles automatic shower cleaner, but it does not seem to have any effect on this, perhaps because the soap dish is recessed into the wall. That must play a role in why this happened in the first place.

It's embarrassing to admit. (Luckily, I have an alias!) However, I had my hands full for a number of years, and details like these were just not a priority.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

Try wetting the area. Either pour water on it or soak a rag and keep it over the soap dish, touching the nasty hard stuff. It will (hopefully) soften a bit and you can then attack it with something hard, like a metal spoon or spatula. Manually dig it out the best you can, then keep it clean by wiping every time you use the tub/shower.Good luck!

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 8:00AM
emma

I agree, lay a hot wet wash cloth on it, keep it there for as long as necessary, it should get soft.

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 9:04AM
emma

I just checked my soap dish and it came clean, I do neglect it when I wipe it all down. I have a spot where my shampoo bottles sit and there are very sharp points that will not wipe off. They are not on the the shelf but a little above it. I am going to leave it there because I don't want to scratch the surface and that is what it would take. It was probably over looked in the cleaning and polishing process at the manufacturer.

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 10:29AM
linnea56

Emma, those sharp points may be the beginning of corrosion. I have that too. Is it metal?

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 9:07PM
emma

No it is not metal, not sure what it is, fiberglass maybe. I don't think it can be rust, they are white.

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 10:13PM
arkansas_girl

Sounds like scale build-up. You can buy scale remover or use vinegar. You could use the same idea of soaking a towel in the scale remover or vinegar and leave it over night. I would use some old rag that you can just throw away and probably cotton would be best if you choose to use that scale remover which is kind of strong. Vinegar will probably not harm a cloth. This may take a few times to get it all. But if it's hard and sharp that would most likely be scale from your water. We have scale in our water and vinegar gets it off. It can also build up on the shower head and cause the water to not come out very good, you can put vinegar in a baggie and put it on the shower head and use some tape to hold it there over night. It will be clean in the morning!

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 7:42AM
graywings123

I haven't tried this yet, but it is on my to-do list with a soap scale problem: Dawn dishwashing soap mixed half and half with hot vinegar. Google the words Dawn and vinegar for details.

Bookmark   November 1, 2013 at 10:02AM
More Discussions
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
Red wine on wall - help!
Hi. We just finished our major kitchen remodel (thank...
nicole93089
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™