stain on suede/leather shoes

kss1956October 22, 2009

I broke a bottle of Zyrtec (allergy liquid medicine) and it went on the suede part of my shoes. Shortly after this happened, I went to a shoe repair store who told me "you can't get grease off of suede". He had some foam product that I didn't buy.

I am in desparate need of advice because I have a hard time finding shoes to fit. I just read to purchase a suede eraser (where do I purchase this?), or a pencil eraser if you don't that this, or medium sandpaper used sparingly. Any input is greatly appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dazzlemewithcolor

Suede is really tricky since it has a nap, and you didn't mention the color of your shoes. I use Lexol leather care products for my furniture, handbags, car seats. I buy mine at a store that sells horse saddles. This product is much better than the expensive stuff I have bought at furniture stores. They have a leather cleaner and also a conditioner. You may want to try the cleaner. I wouldn't rub anything abrasive on suede because I think it would destroy the nap.

Bookmark   October 22, 2009 at 10:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

If it's a fresh grease stain sprinkle with talcum powder and leave for a couple of hours then brush it off. Talcum powder absorbs the grease but it only works if you haven't used cleaners or anything first.

You can also iron the spot out, just like you do with candle wax. Place a pad of paper towel on top of the stain and iron. The heat melts the grease and the towel absorbs it. It might be a little awkward with shoes but give it a try

Bookmark   October 23, 2009 at 6:15PM
More Discussions
Jetted Tub Cleaning - I'm at my end point!
Hello everyone, I know this subject has been posted...
Auroras_Envy
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Anyone have this problem with their BONA floor mop?
My BONA floor mop has no trigger pizazz (for lack of...
kaisermust
Castile Soap Dilemma
This has probably been gone over, but I would like...
harlowolivia
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
Sponsored Products
52" Matthews Irene 3-Blade Walnut - Bronze Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Cerno | Vix 5 Light LED Linear Pendant Light
YLighting
Fairmont Cherry Russet Stained Wood Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Greendale Home Fashions Bed Rest Pillow - 5191-BITTER
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Blue & Beige Cassandra Rug
$59.99 | zulily