Stubborn bath tub

corabeeblueOctober 20, 2013

I have been living in my house for about two months now and the only thing about it that really displeases me is the bath tub. When I first saw it, I thought that it was just dirty and needed a wipe down with some bleach. However after two months, (during which time I tried pretty much everything to get out what I assumed was dirt and grime) nothing has worked. I'm beginning to think that what I'm seeing isn't dirt and that it may be some kind of scratches? I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on the problem I'm having and what (short of replacing the tub, of course) I can do to remedy it because it's kind of embarrassing since I'm sure people assume the tub isn't clean when they see it. I've attached a picture.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rrah

. It appears as if the tub is has one of those non-slip surfaces. This is an old thread that addresses this issue

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cleaning/msg0621310831905.html

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 9:52PM
corabeeblue

Wow, good to know I'm not alone here. I think I'll try the Dawn/Comet combination, as I have both of these on hand. Thanks for your help!

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 6:51AM
dbfirewife

Easy Off oven cleaner in the blue can (less fumes) works great... I use to use it all the time because the regular cleaners just did not cut thru the soap scum build up on the non slip bottom of the shower. I honestly thought it would never be clean or look good again. I read on a message board about using the oven cleaner and tried it with great success. Now as a regular tub/shower cleaner I use half and half mixture of regular strength Dawn dishwashing liquid and vinegar in a spray bottle.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 12:39PM
maid_o_cliff

Mr. Clean magic eraser, is the best thing II have found for the, non slip finish in the tub!

Red

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 9:41AM
flowergirliris

I had the same problem when we bought our house. The tub was not in bad shape but the bottom of the tub (non-slip section) was awful. I tried a few suggestions in this forum to no avail. I decided to use Bon ami non abrasive scouring powder with a Mr. Clean eraser. WALA it worked beautifully. Now granted my tub I gather had never been scrubbed so it took some scrubbing and a couple of Mr. Clean erasers! I have used Bon ami on my stainless steel pots for years and I have had them for over 30 years and still look new. I figured if it worked to take burn stains off my pot it should work on the tub. You can also use bon ami on your glass cook top, works wonders!

Bookmark   November 22, 2013 at 1:16AM
victoria_g

I had this problem with my last home and used bleach regularly which worked for me to get rid of the stains.

Bookmark   November 22, 2013 at 4:52PM
tinan

Mr Clean Magic Eraser, and for that much buildup add to it some Bon Ami... later maintenance just use the magic eraser.

Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
Getting Cigarette Smoke Out of Clothes
My daughter's friend gave her a lot of clothes. Friend...
monicakm_gw
Home library is musty smelling
I have a wall, floor to ceiling, of built in bookshelves...
liseebird
Toilet hard water stains
We have a 1/2 bath that rarely is used, so there's...
nelles_gw
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™