Shower hardware finish - chrome or brushed?

newbie14May 15, 2013

In the home stretch but now starting to question our finishes. We currently selected polished chrome for all our fixtures. But perhaps a brushed chrome would blend better with the earth tone tile color scheme?

We still have a chance to change the shower glass hardware to brushed chrome.

We plan to match all the finishes eventually (ie, we could change the faucets, towel rods, etc.), but it would be impossible for us to change out the glass hardware once that's installed.

So what do you think? Brushed or polished chrome?

Thank you in advance! These forums have been my best friend during this process!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
motherof3inct

I personally prefer polished chrome over brushed. We are renovating 2 baths now and I have selected polished chrome for each. One bathroom is in the same earth tone color scheme as yours. I think your shower fixtures go well with the tile, mosaic and granite. It's a personal choice and if you think it will bother you maybe change it, but I wouldn't go through the trouble and expense.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 1:51PM
ikea_gw

I'd go with polished as well. I definitely think earth tone works better with polished or oiled bronze while cooler tones can probably go equally well with polished or brushed.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 2:16PM
raehelen

I would stick with your chrome fixtures, though I have no problem with brushed with earth tones (as that is what I am doing in my Master Bath-LOL). Chrome is far more universal, less expensive, and if you already have part of your fixtures, I wouldn't worry about it.

P.S. Looking good so far! How long is your shower? Trying to figure out the size of your tiles.... :>)

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 2:35PM
newbie14

Thank you so much!! I think polished wins the day. I am not loud fashion or design-wise, so I was worried the polished would be too "shiny, look at me". But I think all your points make sense and have convinced me.

Raehelen, the shower is about 34x60 and the shower tile is 12x24 Happy Floors Neostile in Ash.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 3:10PM
motherof3inct

I'm glad you are keeping the polished chrome! I don't think of it as "look at me", but a classic look. Love your shower!

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 4:21PM
lillo

I am going with polished chrome for all my fixtures , I have almost the same glass tile and almost the same size of tile too . I will lay them subway style too. The only difference I am going white with the tile and green and blue on the glass tile . I think I see you using 6 rows of glass tile , how wide is that border ?

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 10:54PM
newbie14

lillo, the glass border is 4". I used 12"x12" mesh mounted glass squares ordered online from Lowes, cut into thirds.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 10:21AM
lillo

Thank you newbie14 for the information . I think I'll go with the same 4" width, your shower looks great . Enjoy it .

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 10:47PM
may_flowers

Can you get it in polished nickel? Chrome has a blue tone and nickel has a yellow tone which might work better with your earth tones. I just received my chrome faucet and I definitely see blue in it.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 11:19AM
divotdiva

one of the plumbing stores recommended polished chrome to us, they claim the brushed has tiny channels or a texture created by the brushing process which makes for harder cleaning.
Maybe one of the plumbers on this site can weight in?? My brushed finish kitchen faucet needs polish to keep the water spots away, and I am not diligent.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 3:35AM
More Discussions
What do you think about jets and rain shower?
Any body going with or have them already in their shower? DH...
houserookie
Anyone have knobs for shower door?
Do you like them? I have a narrow shower so I am considering...
risforremodel
Classic looking offset vanity top?
I'm planning out a bathroom remodel for a 1920s Craftsman...
resseger
Turning a kitchen into a bathroom
Hi all. My husband and I bought the condo next door...
amanda8877
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
Sponsored Products
Liberty Creek Collection Leather Bergere Chair - RED
$3,899.00 | Horchow
Tech Lighting | Cabo Grande Pendant
$272.00 | YLighting
Sasha II Bronze Three-Light Bath Fixture with Habanero Glass
$432.00 | Bellacor
Microfiber Chair Furniture Protector
Overstock.com
Caluco San Michele Single Chaise Lounge - 710-9-BRAVADA SALSA
Hayneedle