Ebbe Square Drain

motherof3inctMay 8, 2013

Hi - I just saw a few favorable reviews of the Ebbe square drain that has a hair catcher integrated in the drain cover. I have long hair and currently have issues with my shower draining slowly because if clogs. I am hoping this gizmo will help.

Has anyone used this drain with positive reviews? I did a search on GW and found a few, but was hoping for more. My plumbing supply rep only recommended California brand.

I can purchase the ebbe drain from ebbesquaredrain dot com and was worried about its integrity.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kirkhall

I have one! I got it from a local, (but not all local) plumbing supply warehouse (for less than ebbe online.) I think they are also available on Amazon.

We like it!

The hair catcher does its job (I lose a lot of hair). It is easy to access too. And, cheap. I recommend buying extra hair catchers and replacing every now and then.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 11:42PM
coolbeansw

We have that drain in my son's bathroom and his hair is over a foot long. No problems. It comes with a little key to let you pop up the grate and clean hair from the filter below. Looks good and works well

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 11:42PM
motherof3inct

Thank you so much for the replies. I feel much more confident with my purchase. I placed an order on the ebbe website because they were able to ship it to me priority mail. I should have it on time for my contractor Friday. i purchased the basic chrome grate. The fancier ones were very pretty and supposedly more substantial, but over my budget. Maybe I will upgrade in the future.

Thank you again.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 3:16AM
motherof3inct

UGH - My reno was going very smoothly until this morning! I realized that my tile guy permanently grouted in the removable Ebbe shower grate. The shower grate should be removable so hair can be cleaned out of the drain. I assumed my GC told the tile guy about the special drain, especially since the grate key was sticking straight out of it.....I guess I was wrong.

Can the grate cover be cut out of the grout and re-grouted without damaging my shower floor? On GW I read about grout being re-done or tile being re-set, but does that make my shower floor less durable in the future or risk leaking around the shower grate?

Help! I need to speak with my GC when he comes this morning.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:01AM
kirkhall

Are you sure? Pull up really hard. When it is finished, it LOOKS like it is "grouted in" but it really isn't.
And, yes, if he really did, he probably just needs to chisel a little grout out (or take a blade). It really looks grouted in when finished, though, so make sure he really did what you thought he did.

This post was edited by kirkhall on Wed, May 22, 13 at 14:20

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 2:04PM
kirkhall

without drain cover

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 2:22PM
kirkhall

one more, straight on.
"looks grouted in"

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 2:23PM
motherof3inct

kirkhall - As my daughter would say "You are the bomb!". Thank you for the pics. It really is stuck in there, but my GC said they could cut it out carefully. He is just worried that the grout seal may not be tight, but can just re-grout or seal with silicon. I'll keep you updated! Thank you!

Your shower floor looks great!

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 2:48PM
kirkhall

Thanks! What does he mean the grout seal won't be right? Grout isn't a sealant. There should be waterproofing somewhere UNDER there, and weep holes that should remain in tact. They won't have to "cut" out too much.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 3:36PM
dekeoboe

Sometimes I put my cover back on it and it is too hard for me to get back off and I have to get my husband to remove it. Did you GC ask the plumber if he really did grout the cover in?

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 5:25PM
terrinm

I'm sorry to highjack this, but kirkhall I love your tile! Do you have pictures of your shower posted?

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 10:20PM
kirkhall

No. I haven't "finished" my bathroom yet... So, I haven't done a reveal, though we are living in it. :) And, I have to figure out how to imbed pictures from picasaweb (it used to be easy before they integrated it with google+...) Here is my main shower wall though (sorry to "feed the hijack". I'll post a finished bath soon.)

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 12:49AM
motherof3inct

My husband was able to remove it! No problem with hijacking - I am grateful for everyone's advice. Kirkhall - I love your accent tiles on the shower wall. Is that a Moen valve trim? My plumber had problems with mine sticking out too much. My bathrooms are almost done. Will soon post pics and will definitely include the Ebbe drain.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 8:11AM
kirkhall

Yes, it is Moen. When my plumber installed the valve, he asked my tiler how thick our tiles were... He said that Moen valves are known for not having a lot of "tolerance". I was nervous, because this valve trim has some not so good reviews on Amazon/faucetdirect, etc, but my plumber asked the right question and it worked out!

I'm glad your DH was able to get the drain cover off. When he puts it back on, just don't tamp it in as far/hard, or just have him remove it for the first several times. :)

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 12:13PM
RonHirseo

Can you wash the hair catcher in the dishwasher?

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 7:11PM
kirkhall

I have no idea, Ron, but I am not sure I would. You really just pull the hair off (toss it) and put the catcher back in. They are also very inexpensive, so you could replace annually, quarterly, semi-annually, or whatever.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 8:30PM
More Discussions
Final Decisions - Lighting and Countertop - "Spa-Like" or "Dreary"?
We have been in the middle of a very long & drawn-out...
AHMIowa_NJ
White tubs not really white?
For our new build, I have chosen Imperial Blanco white...
mom2sulu
wall mounted sink with hidden pipes?
Hi all, Would like a small-ish wall mounted sink, but...
randyelipson
shower pan worries. Is any of his method correct?
Unsure about my plumber's method. Could I get some...
mmaggied
Tub swinging glass door
Does anyone have a glass door on their tub hinged at...
aliris19
Sponsored Products
Thermocast Kitchen Seabrook Drop-in Acrylic 33x22x9 0-Hole Double Bowl Kitchen
Home Depot
STERLING Bathroom Stinson Drop-in Bathroom Sink in White 442007-0
$78.83 | Home Depot
Avanity Pop-Up Drain without Overflow - Brushed Nickel - GV-DRAIN-BN
$37.50 | Hayneedle
Fima Frattini by Nameeks S5304 Bathtub Faucet with Hand Shower - S5304CR
$958.92 | Hayneedle
Kingston Brass Fauceture EV9143 Odyssey Vessel Sink - White - EV9143
$162.47 | Hayneedle