Ordering door knobs- which ones are privacy?

kam76April 24, 2014

Did you put privacy door knobs on all bedrooms or just your master and bathrooms? Trying to decide what makes the most sense.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kam76

Also meant to add, if you have a bathroom that has a sink in one room and the toilet/shower behind another door would you use privacy knobs on both doors or just the toilet/shower?

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 1:53PM
MFatt16

I have small kids so locks are on all bathrooms and the master but that's it. I also recommend putting a key up somewhere easy to access just in case. Also, I would like the option to lock both the bathroom and the toilet closet.

That's just my take, I have no idea what is typical.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 2:37PM
robo (z6a)

I put privacy on master and bathrooms and passage on the other rooms. If I were putting in a second master/bedroom with ensuite I think I'd put privacy on that room as well. And if I had a separate toilet/shower I'd put privacy on both knobs.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 5:44PM
suzanne_sl

We put privacy knobs on all the bedrooms. Once a kid hits about 10 there are times they'd like some privacy too. You do need to remember where you put the key, though. Our 3 year old grandson managed to lock himself in a few years ago, which was all very exciting.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 7:20PM
Jules

I put privacy levers on all bedrooms and bathrooms and a keyed lever on the storage/mechanical room.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 8:19PM
cold_weather_is_evil

We put push button privacy knobs on both bathrooms and put locking knobs on each bedroom. The little darlin's have driven us to this of course.

The master BR has reasons for such that center around presents being stored in its closet. Its key opens all other locks too.

The other BRs have keys because each person there wants to preserve their secrets too. Each of those key pattern opens only that BR and no other BR, but also opens all the outside doors too.

The house has a third key biting for other people that only opens the exterior doors. Standard master keying hierarchy and a cinch to do.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 8:36PM
lori_inthenw_gw

Depends on your family composition and habits, clearly! We have no locking interior doors in our house now and won't in our new house either. Never even considered it. A closed door means "occupied" or "knock." But young kids don't always get that-- I remember when my parents installed a lock on their bedroom door-- must have had "naptime" interrupted one too many times...

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
Need help with rigid foam and wall insulation
I am designing a house in Northern Arkansas and am...
josh02_2001
building over an old leach field
Perhaps this is county specific, but I was talking...
divine_serenity_gw
Window/door trim thickness---not width
Time to specify our interior trimwork. I'm stymied...
pinktoes
Floorplan advice
We are a family of 4 with 2 young kids ages 3 and 10...
Butternut
Floorplan review
Hi everyone. My husband and I are working on building...
sarahbr2
Sponsored Products
Halloween Skeleton Crow in Cage
Grandin Road
New York Porcelain Set - Privacy and Passage
Signature Hardware
Future Keys Tray
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Highland Ridge Rectangular Knob
Signature Hardware
Brown Heritage Aqua Shield Doormat
$29.99 | zulily