Bathroom lighting over sink ratio to vanity size?

nancitaMay 26, 2012

Hi all,

Thanks to all of the fantastic help I've received on this forum, I am coming down the home stretch with my two bathrooms.

I will have two vanities, one 48" and the other 30". What size light bar is appropriate for them? There will only be a light in the showers and the overhead sink one.

Thank you all.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
williamsem

I think in depends in part on how big you mirrors will be. I spent a lot of time trying to answer that question earlier this year. Couldn't find a solid answer other than it should be no longer than the vanity and should look right. Not much help.

We have a 48 inch vanity, 42 in mirror, and 30 inch light bar. If you want a pic from a different angle, just ask.

To see how much light it makes, can't take it head on or it just washes the lens out

With the exhaust light on, plenty of light for us!

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 1:17PM
zagyzebra

Just put one light on either side of the mirror.

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 1:59PM
dianne47

I don't know the "right" answer to your question, but I can tell you that you need at least 180W of light above each mirror for enough illumination to apply makeup - and even that is a little low. My pet peeve is not enough light in a bathroom, hotels are notorious for this. I don't think one light on either side of a mirror is adequate, unless each bulb is 100W and you have 4 of them over a vanity (two mirrors, 4 lights).

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 4:06PM
More Discussions
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
Showers 101
I'm hoping there is someone who can direct me to a...
jpbenstock
Bathroom
Walls are blue with red and royal blue towels white...
bobbyfly1
Bath fan dilemma
Looking for other options for bath fan/heater/light/nightlight....
gramarows
Tile install question
I've been posting a lot about our upcoming master bath...
numbersjunkie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™