Kohler Archer or Americh Madison?

lori_inthenw_gwMay 16, 2012

I'm trying to make a preliminary decision without having sat in either. Still trying to track them down in a showroom. I only have room for a 5 ft length.

The armrests on the Madison look a lot like the ones I have on my current tub, which are really comfortable. Here's what I'm getting from the spec sheets:

Archer-- drop in only

basin width at narrowest point= 19 11/16

basin length = 45

depth, to base of drain= 15

finished floor to top of tub= 19

width- outside = 32

Madison, 32" drop in or undermount

basin width at narrowest point= 18

basin length = 40

depth, to base of drain= 15

finished floor to top of tub= 22

width- outside = 32

From what I see here, this makes me conclude that the Archer has a straighter back (longer basin length, same overall length). The width will be fine for either one (I compared to my current tub).

Looks like the Archer has an advantage for a step-in situation, since it has the same water depth, but is 3" shorter, so that's what they get with the linear drain. But this tub will have an adjacent shower and I now have a tall tub that I sit on the edge of and swing my legs over to get in and out, so to some degree, higher is better.

Any opinions? Based on experience or even just a check on my logic-- just let me know which it is!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lynneblack

take a look at the Kohler Underscore, that's what we got and we are very happy with it.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 2:46PM
lori_inthenw_gw

Thanks, Lynne-- I had the Underscore on my short list at one time. I think I took it off because I thought I would be better off with armrests on a deep tub so I don't hunch up my shoulders to place my arms on the tub deck. But that's why it is so hard to choose a tub without trying it on for size! Do you like the lumbar curve in the Underscore? Where do you rest your arms when soaking?

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 2:58PM
writersblock

>I thought I would be better off with armrests on a deep tub

FWIW, Staceyneil, who has the archer, describes them as more like finger rests, so maybe not the archer if you want comfortable arm rests.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 6:23PM
More Discussions
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Anyone have Swanstone shower base?
I was able to dig up the technical/testing specs for...
cataan
Another shower size questions
I am converting an alcove tub (60x30) to a shower....
cataan
What is really new in bathroom renovating?
Although I'm more a retro/classic kind of person, I'm...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™