Can broken dessert dish be repaired?

party_music50August 7, 2010

Probably a dumb question, but I have 6 heavy clear glass dessert dishes (compote-style) that I *love*, and BF just broke the stem on one. Can that be glued somehow? or is it a gonner? :(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldalgebra

Yes, but you're wise to find a professional to do the job - especially if it's the stem.

If that's not a option, Google "glass dish repair" - you'll get lots of options.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 10:24AM
luvstocraft

There's a glue site called This to That which might be helpful. You just type in glass to glass and it will suggest products to use.

Kathleen might remember the glue Tamgypsy used on her broken bunny, I always forget what it was called, but it sure did an amazing job and didn't show at all.

I hope you are able to fix it or get it fixed.

Luvs

Here is a link that might be useful: what glue to use

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 10:50AM
party_music50

Thanks for the replies! I guess it's a gonner. lol! OA, it's not worth enough to try to find a professional fix, and I checked the glue site that luvs suggested. The adhesive they recommend is impossible to find. It lists super-glue as an alternative, but BF just confessed that he's already tried that. ;^)

I almost never break anything, and with BF it's *expected*! lol!

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 11:04AM
jeannespines

Ahhh, broken hearts are harder to mend! Bless BF for "already tried that." Sorry for you loss, tho, party! :-) Jeanne S.

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 5:42PM
jaybird

Don't toss it yet...I have had wonderful results with Loctite Glass Glue. I am linking the ad below, but I bought mine at Lowes for less than $2.50. I used it to repair my grandmother's syrup jug that survived 11 kids, to lose it's life to one miserable cat who is still in disgrace!!!!
I also use it to put glass knobs on the top of various pieces of junque that I haul home and make "cloches" out of :^) Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 11:58AM
bonnieann925

A dear friend of mine has her stems repaired. If it's really something you treasure, it might be worth having it done professionally.

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 5:58PM
nonacook

If all else fails, try E6000-It works well on glass.

Bookmark   August 12, 2010 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
from Purplemoon
I still haven't gotten Houzz to accept my old name,...
Purplemoon
Diving Right In
OK. I'm going to try and create a new post in order...
oldalgebra
For any of Gang on Facebook.....
I've set up a Holiday Group for us. Its a "closed...
Purplemoon
Mardi Gras Breakfast
Getting ready for tomorrow. For more information and...
oldalgebra
Judith (Sweet Designs blog)
Hi everyone. I have checked her blog numerous times...
marylmi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™