Duct cleaning...new home...geothermal?

ajc9October 14, 2012

Hello!

We have lived in our home for one year.

My 2 yr old's allergies flare when the furnace is on...not so much with air conditioning but heating.

When I vacuum by air vents, it's often dirtier compared to other areas...

My builder said it wasn't necessary as they keep covers on the registers during the building process...but I have to wonder!

Any thoughts? Our home is quite large and I don't want to waste the money if it isn't necessary...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krissie55

It would be a good idea to take off the grates and check inside the air return vents and see how much trash the builder left in there. I was amazed at how much builders trash was left in our return vents.

Check under the air return area under the a/c-heat where the filter is placed. Again, ours was full of dirt/trash.

Cleaning ducts would have no effect on our air quality with that much trash/dirt in the return vents.

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 12:41PM
rrah

First, I don't think it has anything to do with the fact it's geothermal. I've lived in a home with geothermal for 11 years and homes with natural gas and electric previously. It is not any dirtier or cleaner.

Do you have an air cleaner on your unit? That can make a big difference. Do you change the filters regularly? It's important.

Do you have a whole house humidifier on the unit to use during cold months. The humidity levels could make a difference with the allergies.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 10:47AM
starraffy

rrah,

Agree with what you said
"First, I don't think it has anything to do with the fact it's geothermal. I've lived in a home with geothermal for 11 years and homes with natural gas and electric previously. It is not any dirtier or cleaner.
Do you have an air cleaner on your unit? That can make a big difference. Do you change the filters regularly? It's important.

Do you have a whole house humidifier on the unit to use during cold months. The humidity levels could make a difference with the allergies."

~ Air filters collects dust making it easier for us to clean and have a cleaner air to breath, for allergies and dry months it should be humidifier to keep the air moist and the other way around for cold season have a dehumidifier to help dry out your place

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 10:35PM
More Discussions
Jetted Tub Cleaning - I'm at my end point!
Hello everyone, I know this subject has been posted...
Auroras_Envy
Dishes smell 'fishy' after dishwasher
All my dishes and flatware have a funky sort of odor...
michelle_phxaz
Castile Soap Dilemma
This has probably been gone over, but I would like...
harlowolivia
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Sponsored Products
Hotel Du Vieux Quartier Brass Clock
$264.00 | Bellacor
White Four-Picture Collage Frame
$10.99 | zulily
Rubbed Bronze Outdoor Wall 3-Light
PLFixtures
Runner Rug: Angelo:HOME Dark Olive Green 2' 6" x 8' Contemporary
Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Lanart Rugs Shag-ri-la Taupe 2 ft. x 8 ft. Runner
$69.97 | Home Depot
Korver Leather Corner Sectional Sleeper (3 piece) - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Darya Rugs Oushak, Ivory, 9'1" x 10'3" M1780-36
Darya Rugs
Queen Red Velvet Dust Skirt - RED (QUEEN)
$475.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™