Am I missing the obvious? Electric logs vs. code fireplace

Petra2012April 8, 2013

We are building an ICF and I know we will never use the fireplace. I still want to include one however, and after much research it seems that electric would be the way to go. However, we need a 2-way (or see through) fireplace and there is only ONE see-through electric fireplace model available in the US that I really don't like the looks of. (Europe has several... sigh). Ideally I wanted a 3-way, or penninsula fireplace. Here's my question:

If I used a normal insert fireplace (made for gas/wood burning/whatever) and then just had the builder NOT vent/chimney it and used electric logs for it instead, wouldn't that solve my problem?

Or am I missing something obvious? I know there may be a codes issue, which I have asked my builder about. Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

You could consider the alcohol fireplaces...those are 2 sided and can burn clean for 2 hrs with no venting or anything and you get a real flame....

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 6:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Petra2012

thanks very much. that would have been a wonderful solution but it really breaks the budget. back to the drawing board.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
getting close to our move in day
Moving in about two weeks, got a lot of things to do...
joerallen
Sending my floor plan modifications to the architect. Ideas?
I have to have all my structural changes decided by...
houserookie
Are these doors acceptable to you?
These are walnut interior doors. I understand that...
pumpkinhouse
Floorplan review please
I would love to get feedback on this floor plan. The...
boonieshome
exterior elevation feedback
Concerned about the eaves/overhangs, are they too "flared"...
msmith110705
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™