Drying/Cleaning Sand in Sandbox

Erin24October 25, 2005

I was just out back cleaning up our yard for the fall -- we've had a stretch of colder/rainy weather before this, and I saw the kids left the lid off their sandbox, and it was a virtual swamp. Is there something I can add to it to quicken the drying time and/or something I could put in it to help "clean" the sand? I know this is a longshot -- the top is off, but I don't think the sun is strong enough this time of year to do its job. TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

It would be good to spread the sand out if possible maybe on a tarp of some kind. Or maybe you could put some in the lid and leave the rest in the sandbox. I'd cover it at night to avoid nighttime moisture collecting on it. (Also keep cats out.) Of course I don't know your weather and how sunny or dry it is during the day. Also, I'd keep turning it with a shovel some tool. Otherwise, toss it in the garden and replace it when it's time.

Bookmark   October 25, 2005 at 8:03PM
lindac

Because of that I never had a sandbox with a "floor"...just sides and the rain just drained away.
I would think that sand will be moldy and musty, unless is is very new and would sprinkle it on the gardens and get new for the kids to play in.....and punch holes in the bottom of that sand box!
Linda c

Bookmark   October 25, 2005 at 11:40PM
smom40

I don't think that it's really possible to clean the sand itself, once it's 'swampy'. I wouldn't trust it as a place for the kids to play in anyway. Too much potential fungal growth.

I'd dump the sand in some obscure garden area, clean the thing out with lots of soapy water, dry it and put it away for spring if this were me.

Bookmark   October 27, 2005 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Coffee Pot. How to clean?
It's thermal. But I can't get the coffee stains out....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
Has anyone tried Green Works?
I see Costco has Green Works. DH and I are planning...
myclementine
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™