1 by1 glass tile as a border on a bathroom floor?

cocokeyMay 1, 2012

I am planning my guest bath reno and saw a picture on this website where a single row of 1 by 1 glass tile was used as a border around a white hex floor.in the bathroom. When I went to order the 2 square feet I needed the Daltile rep told me it couldn't be used on the floor. Other tile places have told me they do this all the time without problems. Anyone out there have any experience or opinions on this. The poster I am modeling my br floor after is Sandn from a few years back and I have an email out to her as well. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Avanti Tile & Stone

No idea why it couldn't be used. Only issue might be different thicknesses that you may need to allow for.

Remotely possible you might be able to scratch them, but unless you're wearing cleats in there, I doubt it.

You WILL want to use a white thinset, however.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 12:12PM
hags00

Most glass tiles don't have the slip resistance properties suitable to be labeled as acceptable for floor. You won't have any slip issues using one row of 1x1" tiles.

You will have to be careful with the differences in thicknesses but it is very doable!

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 12:48PM
Annie Deighnaugh

I have decorative glass tile squares on my bath floor and they are fine. Majority of floor is porcelain with the decorative dots at the corners.

Something like this only with the dots at every corner.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 8:35PM
kamkar2006

Would you mind posting a link to that particular picture so we can really get a full picture. I think a border would be fine! But I have never really walked on any glass tiles so cannot be sure.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 8:48PM
cocokey

Thanks so much for the all of the advice and positive feedback thus far. Here is the garden web link with a picture of sandn's beautiful master bathroom in her victorian home.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg011337514923.html
She also has a blog where she discusses the tile she is using and does say that the glass insert is slightly raised which I am willing to deal with.
Here is the blog URL
http://nothingapropos.blogspot.com/search/label/Bathroom?updated-max=2008-05-22T17:41:00-04:00&max-results=20&start=6&by-date=false
I just love what she did in this room!

Here is a link that might be useful: sandn master bathroom

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 9:55PM
More Discussions
Need help with master bath layout
Hello everyone I am designing my master bathroom. And...
adrituerk
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
Looking for Dupe to RH Nolan Sconce
Has anyone run across sconces that look similar to...
Jill Wood
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™