Quetion about tile size??

Math_TeacherMay 22, 2014

Does it matter if you use 12" or 18" tile on the floor in relation to the size of room? We are picking out flooring for a new build. I really like the larger tile (less grout to clean), but wasn't sure if it would look right in a smaller room like a half bath. Also, I was wondering about in the master bath. We are going to tile our shower and whirlpool surround. I was wondering if it would look odd to have 18" tile on floor and 12" tile in shower and around tub?? Just looking for opinions. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoffrey_b

I have 12" wall tile, and 12 x 24 floor tile. Looks fine.

Larger tile is more difficult to install, easier to have lippage. So you'll need a professional tile installer.

Also you need a subfloor with little deflection. The builder needs to be aware of this.

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 3:45PM
chispa

The last few years we have seen larger tiles being used in bathrooms. There isn't a correct answer as each space is different and specially in a small powder room you might want to do some mockups to see if a larger tile will work out in the space. You can always cut out some cardboard pieces in the sizes you want and lay them out.

It isn't odd at all to mix different sizes. You actually want smaller tiles on the shower floor to make sure the floor isn't too slippery.

I'm remodeling my master bath and using everything from a 1-3/8" square all the way up to a 17-1/2" x 35". Have you looked on Houzz.com? They have lots of bathroom photos showing all different types and sizes of tiles.

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 3:54PM
Babka NorCal 9b

I have 24" porcelain squares on my small bathroom floor so they only go 3 across most of the room. I love the look.

-Babka

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 4:10PM
More Discussions
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
Master bath remodel - faucet help
I'm trying to decide between a few faucets for my sinks...
melissapta
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
No door to bathroom
We are picking our interior doors out tomorrow. I like...
holcombe3
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™