Cleaning burnt pots - I tried oven cleaning cycle

albert_135October 9, 2012

There are several threads on cleaning burnt pots, each with several suggestions.

I was running the oven cleaning cycle on my electric oven and on a whim I put a couple of the old enameled broiler trays in the oven while cleaning. They came out quite good/well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

My pots have plastic(?) handles which I'm sure would melt.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 8:58AM
klseiverd

Only thing I've run thru self-clean cycle has been cast iron... stuff I picked up for a song with someone else's schmutz on it. The crud was reduced to ash... quick rinse, reheat and reseason.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 4:55PM
azzalea

Using high heat on enamel-coated products will eventually ruin them, the coating cracks and falls off. We made the mistake of using the foil-method to clean the grates on our expensive BBQ grill (after using the grill, you put foil on the grates, close the lid and crank the thing up to high heat for 10-15 minutes). In about a year, the grates were unuseable.

I'd recommend not doing the oven self-cleaning thing on your enamel-coated pieces on a regular basis. Cheaper and safer solution? Buy a lemon, rub the cooked on gunk with the cut side of the lemon, let it sit a bit, then wipe and rinse. May take a few applications, but it's an easy way to clean--even works on burnt on stuff in the oven. And the nice thing is? Lemon's both non-toxic AND smells so nice while you're cleaning.

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
Urine stain on rug from dog
My sweet doggie has tinkled two different times on...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™