Iron Stains on toilet bowl

pugwinkleOctober 7, 2010

Does anyone have a cleaning solution for iron stains on my toilet bowl. Gosh that is ugly looking and nothing I've tried can get rid of those stains.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peanutmom

I guess it depends on how eco-friendly you want to be, but the cheapest and fastest thing I have found is a product called "the works" at my local dollar store. You don't even want to know what the toilet looked like when I moved in my home before I cleaned it. I may have been the first. It works really well on iron and on hard water stains. I actually put half of the bottle in the bowl, swished it around good and left it sit over night. Another good swish and scrub in the morning and it came right out.

PS- I am not buying the story from the PO's of the house that it was the water, because it has never looked that way again or even close. LOL.

Bookmark   October 8, 2010 at 2:59PM
cat_ky

There is a product called iron out, that you can buy in any hardware store and some grocery stores. It has a bit of a sulphur odor to it, but it will clean out the toilet, can be used in laundry for rust stains, and can be used in a badly stained dishwasher. When we lived in Mn, our well water had a lot of iron in it. We did eventually put in a water filtration system, but until then, Iron Out was one of my very best friends.

Bookmark   October 8, 2010 at 3:47PM
peanutmom

I hadn't thought about Iron Out. I have used it on my laundry a lot, but never thought about using it in my toilet. Duh. I guess it pays to think outside the box. LOL.

It would definitely be worth a try. It works great for getting iron stains out of laundry and off of sinks and such.

Bookmark   October 8, 2010 at 6:45PM
nerdyshopper

How do you clean your toilet bowl now: I use Lysol toilet bow cleaner that we get at Costco. It is a high percentage of hydrochloric acid and that disolves iron quite will.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 5:24PM
More Discussions
Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease
Well, I let my frying pan with grease get too hot,...
junkyardgirl
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™