How often do you clean the outside of your house?

patrice607October 16, 2010

I'm choosing colors for an exterior remodel with hardiboard and read on their website that it needs to be hosed down every other month or so to prevent mold/mildew. This sounds excessive to me! I currently have cedar shakes and hose the house down once a year. My neighbor has vinyl and powerwashes it once a year. I'm thinking of changing to vinyl. Don't want the extra maintenance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

I suppose it depends where you live and what your weather is like.

We do nothing to the siding on our house and neither does anyone in town so far as I know and no one seems to have a problem with mold or mildew. Then we live in an area that has very little humid weather and half a year of winter.

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 11:01PM
andersons21

Look at a product called Wet and Forget.

And I'm not a spammer, just someone who hates mildew and read about this product in the Costco Connection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wet & Forget

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 12:50AM
lizbeth-gardener

patrice:

I don't know what hadiboard is, but before you go with vinyl you might want to look at cementboard. We chose it for looks and durability over vinyl siding. It has the same look as wood without the need to paint and has a terrific guarantee. Like the above poster said, I think humidity (mildew) and color would play a part in how often it needs washing. We have white and have had it on about a year and a half and don't need to wash yet. HTH

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 1:32AM
krissie55

Cement board is hardy board.

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 9:27PM
gibby2015

Pretty much the only time it really gets cleaned is before we restain it - which is about every 8-10 years. We have cedar siding that's about 37 years old.

I have a BIL who has hardi plank siding and thinks it's the greatest thing every invented. I've never heard him mention that he has to wash it every month. Maybe he does but he talks more about how low maintenance it is.

Bookmark   October 22, 2010 at 6:23PM
terriks

You're supposed to wash the outside of your house? ;)

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 12:18AM
brunosonio

Yes, actually you're supposed to. At least that's what my house painter said when we had the whole house repainted after a remodel 4 years ago. He recommended hosing or using a power washer on soft setting once a year to get all of the accumulated dust and dirt off the painted siding. We live in the Pacific NW so with all of the wet winter storms and wind the outside does get battered months on end.

I think what we fail to see on top of the paint or vinyl is the same dirt that's on your windows. We all clean our windows periodically, you can imagine that stuff building up over 10 years on the outside of the house!

Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 12:00PM
jakabedy

Not often enough. I am taking a break from that right now. I have been around with a long brush to get all the spider webs and am about to go back out and do the windows. But I have rough cedar board-and-batten -- how does one clean that?

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 5:25PM
More Discussions
How to rid house of dog smell
I'm doing a temporary rental (sold my house finally...
lisa77429
Jetted Tub Cleaning - I'm at my end point!
Hello everyone, I know this subject has been posted...
Auroras_Envy
Dirty Coffeemaker Sickness!
Warning: This Is NASTY! So I make a pot of coffee everyday...
tomatozilla
How Do You Clean Whirlpool Jets??
We're building a new house and have ordered a whirlpool...
MrsBigE
onions on wood cutting board odor removal?
I tried searching and haven't seen this-- We use a...
sheilaaus122
Sponsored Products
Scalloped Flower Bowl
$44.99 | Dot & Bo
Maxim Rocco 22" Wide Polished Chrome Bath Light
Lamps Plus
Cozzia 16018 Robotic Massage Chair - 16018BLACK
Hayneedle
Pragma Bi-Fold Twin-Size Bed
Overstock.com
Lumaria Thermostatic Bamboo Shower Panel With Hand Shower and Body Jets - Bamboo
Signature Hardware
Polished Chrome Vertical Toilet Paper Holder
TheBathOutlet
Morgan Wall Sconce by Troy Lighting
$266.00 | Lumens
GE Under Cabinet Lighting 36 in. Fluorescent Direct Wire Light Fixture White
$62.97 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™