More order of work - tile flooring and toilet

JamieMay 16, 2012

What is supposed to go in first? (tile is vallelunga sophia, a basketweave ceramic tile. Toilet is a skirted toto)

If you put the toilet in first, what are the negative consequences?

Bathroom 2 has a kohler skirted toilet. What is the downside of putting the toilet in before marmoleum (pretty flat) flooring? Before thicker flooring like terrazzo tile?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

I prefer the flooring to go under the toilet.

If you need an operating toilet, the toilet can be set for use during construction. Then simply pull it for the flooring installation, then reset.

I'd want the flange height of the toilet properly set for both floorings; the thicker tile and the thinner marmoleum.

Part of the issue is sanitary, in that you have a cleaner installation (literally and figuratively) with the toilet set on top of the finish flooring.

I much prefer having a sanitary surface (tile, or whatever the finish flooring might be) under the toilet instead of the toilet having bare subfloor or underlayment underneath it.

The other part is "future-proofing". If you ever change out the toilet for one with a different footprint, the flooring will be where it needs to be.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 2:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jamie

Thank you Mongoct. I am using a contractor but the project has grown tentacles, somehow, and I'm trying to create mini-projects within the contract. I'm fearing that all "finish plumbing trim-out" will fall to the last days, a time at which the contractor will have almost all his money and I won't have a single working toilet. It's too scary for me. I'm breaking the project up. Thanks for your advice.

I'm going to try to get him to finish the bathrooms before the kitchen cabs are delivered. I don't have a sense as to whether it costs him more to get a plumber out sporadically than to have him for a solid run of days, but I can't trust. If it costs more so be it. I started with a house that had bathrooms, and I've put in a lot of money, and I now have a house where you can't make a pit stop. Too nervewracking for this poster.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 4:31PM
More Discussions
Shower door for neo-angle
If you have a neo-angle shower where the tiled walls...
cataan
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
Finishing touches – Towel Ring location, need opinions
Hello. My bathroom is starting to come together and...
mrsshayne
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
Sponsored Products
Holtkoetter | Bernie Turbo Halogen Low Voltage Swing-Arm Floor Lamp No. 6424/P1
$678.00 | YLighting
Runner Rug: Spectrum SP01 Black 2' 3" x 8'
Home Depot
Chinese Calligraphy Bamboo Blinds - 60 Inch, Width - 60 Inches
$69.00 | Bellacor
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Loloi Rugs Rugs Olivia Life Style
Home Depot
Leopoldo Cherub Floor Fountain
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Hand-hooked Eden Ivory Wool Runner (2'6 x 8')
Overstock.com
Green & White Leaf Bathroom Mat
$21.99 | zulily
Flexo Lexa Wall Sconce by Bover
$648.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™