How do I get rid of all the new house construction dust?

kgoreOctober 25, 2009

We are almost done with construction on our new house. There is so much dust and fine sanding particles floating in the air. I was curious to know if there is anyway to remove all those little particles before kicking on the A/C and moving in.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

Wipe with damp sponges, dispose of the sponges as you go. I did this when we had our floors sanded. Could you believe there was even dust inside my closed kitchen cabinets? Luckily that was before we had kids, so our babies weren't exposed to that cr@p.

Bookmark   October 26, 2009 at 10:02AM
brutuses

Start with cleaning the walls, windows and high shelves, moldings, etc. Use an extension pole with a damp mircrofibre if you're not into ladders. I found a large microfibre mop works great for dusting the walls. Don't forget the dust clings to wood moldings, windows, top of doors and their frames, light fixtures and the bulbs too!!

Literally, you have to wipe down every surface, whether it be in front of you, above you, hiding from you or beneath you. LOL

Vacum the floor really well after you're finished with all the other surfaces then mop with a mild solution of vinegar and water. Of course if you have carpets, just vacum really well.

I just started cleaning our new new house and boy, it is not an easy taste. Well, it's easy in that the dust comes right up, but there is so much to clean!! Good luck.

Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 12:31AM
kateskouros

i typically hire a cleaning service ...and then when they leave i wipe everything down again myself. if anything it makes it a tad easier!

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 7:50PM
ebear1271

I would get the ducts cleaned first. you can wipe your heart out (or your arms!) but it's all going to be back in the air when you turn your furnace on. You won't believe the stuff that is in your ducts from construction!

Bookmark   November 4, 2009 at 11:24AM
ebear1271

slightly off topic, but a testament to the changing times. When we moved into our new house 12 years ago my mom couldn't believe the dust everywhere. She said when they moved into their new house, almost 40 years ago now, it was move in ready. No dust or dirt.

Bookmark   November 4, 2009 at 1:00PM
catkin

I hear there's a drywall that drops its dust to the floor when cut (and minimizes the mess) unlike most that linger/swirl around in the air.
Has anyone heard of this?

Bookmark   November 29, 2009 at 3:49PM
norcalpeetnik

Good cleaning tips everyone!

I found that my furnace filter needed to be changed almost once a month for 4 -6 months after we moved in post-remodel. Now we're back to changing it once a year, so I figure that it was due to all the lingering construction dust.

Bookmark   November 30, 2009 at 9:08PM
More Discussions
Dirty Coffeemaker Sickness!
Warning: This Is NASTY! So I make a pot of coffee everyday...
tomatozilla
hard water marks on glasses
Can anyone tell me how to clean hard water marks from...
MIStepMom
How do you clean your oven racks?
I just ran the self-cleaning feature on my Gaggenau...
kawfeeaddict
Pine Sol Original Has Changed For The Worst
Im a 47 yo male, have been a neat clean guy all my...
northwoods
How to Clean a Disgusting Plastic Shower Floor
I have purchased a property that has what I believer...
lgal63
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Georgian Collection Gilded Iron 1-light Wall
$75.82 | Home Depot
Arturo Alvarez | Bety Table Lamp
YLighting
Light House Glossy White Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Lifeboat Oar - FE103
$100.00 | Hayneedle
Pink 14-Oz. Water Bottle
$14.99 | zulily
Ocean Light Oushak Rug 12' x 15'
$8,599.00 | Horchow
Giraffe Spice 18-Inch Square Pillow
$43.99 | Bellacor
Safavieh Hand-woven Reversible Pink Braided Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™