How to Safely clean a fireclay sink? (Rohl Shaw)

barnfieldOctober 9, 2006

I've had a Rohl Shaw fireclay sink for about 4 months now, and darn it if the only way I can get that sucker clean on the bottom is SoftScrub w/Bleach. I hate to do it 'cause I know how harsh it is, but there it is.... somebody PLEASE tell me what else works!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mscratch

try a vinegar and baking soda paste..that is one expensive sink and I would call the manufacturer for explicit instructions.

Bookmark   October 12, 2006 at 10:58AM
marzz

I use Scratch Free Comet, it has bleach. So far so good, after about 2 years.

Bookmark   October 14, 2006 at 12:54AM
enghud

Hmmmm. What exactly is the problem? Staining or marks from pans? I have a Shaw's sink also (that I absolutely love). Every day after I do the dishes, I squirt a dollop of dish soap on my OCedar green scrubbie pad and swab over the sink surface and rinse it off with the sprayer and after three years it still looks absolutely white, shiny and brand new. Having said that, my husband washed up my canning kettle in the sink and it left what looks like a tiny pencil line in the bottom of the sink that I can't seem to get off even with cleanser. Not sure what to do to remove that!

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 1:24PM
sweetsofalo_yahoo_com

I replaced my Rohl (Allia) fireclay sink about 6 weeks ago. The first one had a crack (Which Rohl blamed on my contractor!). The first sink had been installed for about 5 months and I never seemed to have any staining. The new one started showing faint staining within one week. I wrote Rohl and they never responded. I only use dish soap to clean it, since I am afraid of damaging the finish. I know that there are products available for these sinks. I would be wary of SoftScrub, as it seemed to make my mother's new Kohler more susceptible to staining. I am going to the plumbing fixture showroom where I bought my sink to ask about products. Why should these be so much more trouble than the sinks of old? I will post if I get any really helpful information.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 1:25AM
camilleinnh

My Shaws fireclay sink is about two years old. I've used softscrub (not with bleach) very gently and sparingly on it and lately I've noticed that the bottom of the sink seemed to get dirty quicker. When it's clean it looks as clean and shiny as new. But... something is different. Maybe the finish may not be as smooth as it used to be? I fear that I may have permanently damaged it, albeit not horribly.

Any ideas?

Bookmark   December 25, 2011 at 9:07AM
More Discussions
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
Rescuing a non-stick frying pan with burnt on grease
Well, I let my frying pan with grease get too hot,...
junkyardgirl
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™